Roommates trying too kick me out?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 captainsub19

captainsub19

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 05:48 PM

My roommates tried to tell me today that I have 30 days to find a new apartment. This came as a total shock to me since i always pay my rent on time and pay the bills. All 3 of us are on the lease. My roommate is using her dad as the guarantor for our apartment. They said that we are all just not getting along and that we all have different life styles. They also said since my one roommates dad was the guarantor then they have to right to kick me out? Is this even possible?

#2 Guest_FindLaw_Amir_*

Guest_FindLaw_Amir_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 February 2013 - 07:22 AM

What does the lease agreement state about this matter? Do you have a long term lease or a month to month lease agreement?

#3 pg1067

pg1067

Platinum Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 45,660 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 07:49 AM

My roommates tried to tell me today that I have 30 days to find a new apartment.

What does "tried to tell" mean? Do they have speech impediments that prevented them from telling you this (in which case, how would you know what they were "trying to tell" you)? Or did you simply mean to say that your roommates actually did tell you this?

They also said since my one roommates dad was the guarantor then they have to right to kick me out?

Despite your use of a question mark, this sentence is not a question.

Is this even possible?

Is what possible? If you're asking whether it is legally correct that the roommate whose father is guarantor has the right to force you out solely because her father is guarantor, the answer is no. In fact, it's one of the sillier things I've heard recently and reflects a serious degree of ignorance/stupidity and lack of logical reasoning skills on the part of your roommates. Unless you have a roommate agreement separate from your lease that allows one of you to be kicked out by a majority of the others, your roommates have no legal right to force you out.

That said, it is possible that your roommate's father could withdraw as guarantor, and that might get all of you evicted by your landlord, who could immediately turn around and re-lease the premises only to your other roommates. However, unless your landlord is particularly friendly with your roommates and hostile to you and not a very good business person, I think most landlords would not go along with a scheme like that. And, from a practical perspective, you have to decide whether this is a battle worth fighting -- i.e., do you really want to force people to continue living with you who obviously don't want to do so?

#4 captainsub19

captainsub19

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 04:39 PM

What does the lease agreement state about this matter? Do you have a long term lease or a month to month lease agreement?

It's a 2 year lease. All of our names are on the lease. As we as the guarantor who is under Tenant as well?

#5 captainsub19

captainsub19

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 04:45 PM

I'm pretty sure he would not just take his name or withdrawal from being a Guarantor. I've being reading up on that and it seems that once you sign the lease as Guarantor that's it. I have a job and pay my bills on time so they cant say I'm breaking the lease in any way. We also do not have a roommate agreement. If they do I haven't signed or agreed to anything. I shouldn't have to move out because one roommate feels like we don't get along.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users