Fraud and extortion

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 vcrowell

vcrowell

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 10:40 PM

I would like to know can someone be prosecuted for fraud and extortion when they lied about paternity and knew from the begginning that's not your child. They continue with the lie until it was exposed, it's been three years and the child was provided for financially.

#2 Tax_Counsel

Tax_Counsel

Platinum Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,688 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 11:18 PM

That depends on the applicable state law (and you didn't mention the state) and the facts. One of the problems here is that the putative father almost certainly could have insisted on a paternity test from the outset, so it’s hard to say that the mother prevented the putative father from learning the truth. A complaint can certainly be made with the appropriate law enforcement agency; there is nothing to lose. But I suspect the law enforcement agency will see it as a mere civil matter and decline to pursue it.

The guy who paid the child support may want to see a family law attorney to find out if there is any way he might recover the support he paid.

#3 pg1067

pg1067

Platinum Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 46,091 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 07:21 AM

I would like to know can someone be prosecuted for fraud and extortion when they lied about paternity and knew from the begginning that's not your child.

Depends on who "they" are and on the laws of the unidentified state where the conduct took place.

#4 adjusterjack

adjusterjack

Platinum Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,844 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 09:04 AM

I would like to know can someone be prosecuted for fraud and extortion when they lied about paternity and knew from the begginning that's not your child.

Realistically, probably not. I seriously doubt that any authorities would get involved in a criminal prosecution.

They continue with the lie until it was exposed, it's been three years and the child was provided for financially.

That the man allowed this to go on for 3 years without proof of paternity very likely makes a civil suit unwinnable. He should have demanded a paternity test from the getgo.

Life lesson from the school of hard knocks.

Warning: Legal issues are complicated. Explanations and comments here are simplified and might not fully explain the ramifications of your particular issue. I am not a lawyer. I do not give legal advice. I make comments based on my knowledge and experience. I guarantee nothing. If you act on my comments without the advice of an attorney, you do so at your own risk.

#5 Legal_Balla

Legal_Balla

Contributor

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 156 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 09:26 AM

Please hire a qualified attorney to help you answer these questions. There are too many unknown facts presented in your question. An attorney familiar with the law applicable to this situation can help guide you. Good Luck.

#6 Guest_FindLaw_Amir_*

Guest_FindLaw_Amir_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 February 2013 - 10:26 AM

I agree with the previous poster, you may want to discuss this matter with a local Lawyer to review your situation and advise you of your options.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users