Excessive charges

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 gtdagame

gtdagame

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 06:59 AM

Went to a gas station last night and got gas in the amount of $20.01. Looked at my account this morning and there was a charge for $125.00 to my account from that gas station. Is it legal for them to do that?

#2 pg1067

pg1067

Platinum Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 44,336 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 07:32 AM

First of all, has it occurred to you that it might be a mistake?

Second, when you called your bank/credit card company to inquire about the charge, what response did you get?

Third, did you use a credit card or a debit card?

#3 harrylime

harrylime

Diamond Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,694 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 08:18 AM

Might be just an authorization hold and the actual charge will show up today or tomorrow (?).

#4 FindLaw_Amir

FindLaw_Amir

Platinum Contributor

• Moderators
  • 62,345 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 08:30 AM

Did you use a credit card in this transaction?
FindLaw's Legal Heads-Up! newsletter can provide you with the legal resources you need to make informed decisions when law touches aspects of your everyday life.

#5 adjusterjack

adjusterjack

Platinum Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,949 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 08:48 AM

You got a receipt for the $20.01, didn't you?

Warning: Legal issues are complicated. Explanations and comments here are simplified and might not fully explain the ramifications of your particular issue. I am not a lawyer. I do not give legal advice. I make comments based on my knowledge and experience. I guarantee nothing. If you act on my comments without the advice of an attorney, you do so at your own risk.

#6 Transaction7

Transaction7

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 01:46 AM

I know it does, but can you, or anyone, explain why it should make a difference in your rights whether you use a VISA or MC debit card vs. a VISA or MC credit card, even issued by the same bank, for a transaction?

As for holds, if you think a gas purchase might have pitfalls, try a hotel or car rental or repair.

#7 pg1067

pg1067

Platinum Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 44,336 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 09:12 AM

I know it does, but can you, or anyone, explain why it should make a difference in your rights whether you use a VISA or MC debit card vs. a VISA or MC credit card, even issued by the same bank, for a transaction?

I cannot explain "why it should make a difference." Debit cards and credit cards are different things, and their use is subject to different contractual terms. It's as simple as that, and the problem is that most folks don't bother to read their credit or debit card agreements (or even skim them).

#8 FindLaw_Amir

FindLaw_Amir

Platinum Contributor

• Moderators
  • 62,345 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 09:17 AM

Did your charge issue get fixed?
FindLaw's Legal Heads-Up! newsletter can provide you with the legal resources you need to make informed decisions when law touches aspects of your everyday life.

#9 Tax_Counsel

Tax_Counsel

Platinum Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,855 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 07:06 AM

Debit cards and credit cards are different things, and their use is subject to different contractual terms. It's as simple as that, and the problem is that most folks don't bother to read their credit or debit card agreements (or even skim them).

Not just as simple as the difference in contract terms. Federal law also treats them differently; credit card accounts are granted more protection than debit card accounts are. Why the reason for that differing treatment? I have one possible explanation: the original law protecting credit cards was written before there were debit cards in wide use. Thus, when the law was drafted, no one probably gave much thought to writing the law in a way that covered both kinds of products. In any event, this difference in the protection given these two financial products is the reason consumer lawyers and financial experts recommend using credit cards for purchases rather than debit cards. I only use my debit card for cash withdrawals at ATMs. For purchases, I use my credit card.

#10 FindLaw_Amir

FindLaw_Amir

Platinum Contributor

• Moderators
  • 62,345 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 08:03 AM

Informative post Tax_Counsel.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users