Jump to content


Forged checks

  • Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 LSG919


    New Member

  • Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 09:33 AM

My roommate forged checks from my account. Apparently some of the stolen money was used to pay living expenses at our shared house. The bank told me that I benefitted from the proceeds and want to deduct that amount from a settlement?

Can they do that?

#2 FindLaw_Amir


    Platinum Contributor

  • Moderators
  • 62,345 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 10:00 AM

Did you discuss this matter with a local Lawyer before proceeding with such a settlement?
FindLaw's Legal Heads-Up! newsletter can provide you with the legal resources you need to make informed decisions when law touches aspects of your everyday life.

#3 pg1067


    Platinum Contributor

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 45,169 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 10:55 AM

Perhaps you might explain who "they" are and what "settlement" you're talking about.

#4 adjusterjack


    Platinum Contributor

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,284 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 08:50 AM

What do you mean "want to deduct"?

Are they asking for your consent?

Warning: Legal issues are complicated. Explanations and comments here are simplified and might not fully explain the ramifications of your particular issue. I am not a lawyer. I do not give legal advice. I make comments based on my knowledge and experience. I guarantee nothing. If you act on my comments without the advice of an attorney, you do so at your own risk.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users