Water leak responsibility?

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 JustWannaKnow007

JustWannaKnow007

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 03:03 AM

Had a water leak that lasted 2 1/2 weeks due to landlord not answering and voicemail being full. Racked up a $936.18 water bill. 2 weeks later same leak leaked again took 2 days to fix and racked up $572.07 water bill. Landlord refuses to help me pay or provide me with receipts and documentation proving there was a water leak so i can get the rates lowered through the water comp. My lease is a 1/2 page very simple document states nothing about maintence or repairs just basic information. Not sure how florida laws deals with this kind of thing. Just wondering if She, I, or We are responsible with this monstrous $1400.00 and change water bill.

#2 Guest_FindLaw_Amir_*

Guest_FindLaw_Amir_*
  • Guests

Posted 31 January 2013 - 08:25 AM

Even if it is not in a rental agreement or lease, a landlord is required to keep a building and unit in a habitable condition. This means that a landlord must ensure that the building is structurally sound, provide hot and cold water, ensure that the roof is not leaking, and keep the plumbing, electrical and heating systems all in safe operating condition. To learn more about this subject matter, you may visit the Real Estate Law Center and read Landlord-Tenant Law. I also suggest you read the Florida's Landlord/Tenant Law Summary of Chapter 83, Part II - Florida Statutes as a good resource.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users