Photo

In AL, how much does it cost to file a child support modification and a request to change a couple of things on the divorce papers?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 JOG3123

JOG3123

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 12:54 PM

I recently hired an attorney to get my child support modified and change a couple of things in the original divorce decree. How much does it cost, in Anniston, AL (Calhoun County), to file this request? He charged me $380 JUST for the filing charge. I think this sounds outrageous and want to find out if I can get some of my money back. Is this amount correct? If not, how do I go about getting reimbursed for the excess amount? I fired this attorney for unprofessionalism and bad work ethic and now have to hire another attorney to finish the job. I need as much money as I can get in order to pay for a whole new attorney. Please help?!

#2 pg1067

pg1067

Platinum Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 45,837 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 01:26 PM

I recently hired an attorney to get my child support modified and change a couple of things in the original divorce decree. How much does it cost, in Anniston, AL (Calhoun County), to file this request?

According to your post, it costs $380. If you have reason to believe your attorney may have lied to you about the cost, feel free to contact the local court clerk and ask about the filing fee (or the court may have a web site that you can visit to get the information).

Is this amount correct? If not, how do I go about getting reimbursed for the excess amount?

If the lawyer overcharged you, you'd have to sue him in small claims court and/or make a complaint with the Alabama state bar.

#3 Guest_FindLaw_Amir_*

Guest_FindLaw_Amir_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 January 2013 - 01:31 PM

You may want to read the Alabama Rules of Professional Conduct: Client-Lawyer Relationship Rule 1.5 FEES. If you feel this lawyer has violated the rules of professional conduct, then you may wish to contact the Alabama State Bar: Office of the General Counsel to address your concerns.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users