• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 LeeEvans

LeeEvans

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 09:05 AM

Basically I d like to know how to help a disabled lady who has been virtually robbed by a guy who is now working as a paralegal and because the lady was desperate in her illegal detainer she was held up by this guy writing her worthless motions and giving worthless advice. When she had no more money t pay him, he wanted her to get a loan on her car. He resigned on his own from the bar because of felony counts of thief and grand larceny. Just how can a paralegal act as an attorney. This lady has no idea about legal facts. Just desperate to stay in her home where she has been for over 17 years THank you

#2 Guest_FindLaw_Amir_*

Guest_FindLaw_Amir_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 January 2013 - 09:48 AM

What would you like done about this matter?

#3 adjusterjack

adjusterjack

Platinum Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,435 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 09:54 AM

She can start by reporting him to the State Bar or regulatory agency. Might get him prosecuted again.

That won't get her any money back any time soon.

So if she is at risk of losing her home, a few details about why would be helpful.

Also tell us what state she lives in.

Warning: Legal issues are complicated. Explanations and comments here are simplified and might not fully explain the ramifications of your particular issue. I am not a lawyer. I do not give legal advice. I make comments based on my knowledge and experience. I guarantee nothing. If you act on my comments without the advice of an attorney, you do so at your own risk.

#4 Fallen

Fallen

Platinum Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 59,650 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 09:58 AM

http://www.calbar.ca...Regulation.aspx

The above assumes he was an attorney in CA.

"... because the lady was desperate in her illegal detainer she was held up by this guy writing her worthless motions and giving worthless advice."

She's free to see what the state's client fund will do.

"Just how can a paralegal act as an attorney."

If you're saying she hired him after he gave up his license to practice law, there was an easier way to get that point across from the top, but never mind.

I'll echo PG's advisory "warning" with a twist: (Many) legal issues are complicated. Explanations and comments here might not fully identify or explain the ramifications of your particular problem. I do not give legal advice as such (and such is impermissible here at any rate). Comments are based on personal knowledge and experience and legal info gleaned over a quarter century, and every state has differing laws on and avenues to address most topics.  If you need legal advice, you need to consult (and pay) a professional so that you may have someone to hold accountable.  Acting on personal and informational advice from a stranger on the internet is a bad idea -- at least not without your own thorough due dilience/research and confirmation as it applies to your situation.  :)

#5 Tax_Counsel

Tax_Counsel

Platinum Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,377 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 02:14 PM

The above assumes he was an attorney in CA.

Well, he's no longer an attorney, but the state bar still regulates the practice of law and might go after him.

But she may also want to see an attorney about possibly suing the paralegal if, in fact, he prepared "worthless motions" and otherwise screwed up the case.

#6 LeeEvans

LeeEvans

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 02:22 PM

She IS in California. I know because I know her. And I d like to see her get her money back. She was served with a 3 day notice because they ordered her to get rid of her plants which everyone at the Apartment has plants. This is in a rent controlled section. The only reason they wanted her gone is exactly so they can raise rent. Shading some more light. THe guy who robbed her of her money had worked at one time for her cousin. (no longer does) She never knew his history. Until now. He stole from clients and pled guilty to it. I guess once a thief always a thief. At any rate. She lost her case sadly. ANd the guy is still calling her. Thank you all. I did contact the bar and he had given up his license so they cant do anything. I have no use for parasites like this.

#7 LeeEvans

LeeEvans

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 03:19 PM

Well, he's no longer an attorney, but the state bar still regulates the practice of law and might go after him.

But she may also want to see an attorney about possibly suing the paralegal if, in fact, he prepared "worthless motions" and otherwise screwed up the case.

Yes he did screw up the case. She was up against a time line to file things. Then when what he had her file was denied because of untimely filing he d tellher she needed to file something else and on and on until it was too late. thank you

#8 LeeEvans

LeeEvans

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 10:20 AM

Please notice I have not called any names..but this from the website public info.
"of Malibu was placed on interim suspension Feb. 16, 2003, following a conviction for two counts of grand theft. He was ordered to comply with rule 955."
BTW he always insisted upon cash and would meet her at different places just like in those criminal cases so there is not a trail. but there is a trail. And he told her he was going to try and get his license back.

#9 Fallen

Fallen

Platinum Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 59,650 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 10:34 AM

As I said, CA would be the place if that's where he "was" (emphasis on that word) licensed to practice law. (Naturally, if he were licensed elsewhere but engaging in the unauthorized practice of law in CA, you'd file a complaint with both state bars.)

No need to go into the gory details, but she's free to consult with a personal injury/malpractice attorney ... and pester her state legislative representatives along with the state bar.

I'll echo PG's advisory "warning" with a twist: (Many) legal issues are complicated. Explanations and comments here might not fully identify or explain the ramifications of your particular problem. I do not give legal advice as such (and such is impermissible here at any rate). Comments are based on personal knowledge and experience and legal info gleaned over a quarter century, and every state has differing laws on and avenues to address most topics.  If you need legal advice, you need to consult (and pay) a professional so that you may have someone to hold accountable.  Acting on personal and informational advice from a stranger on the internet is a bad idea -- at least not without your own thorough due dilience/research and confirmation as it applies to your situation.  :)

#10 LeeEvans

LeeEvans

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 10:40 AM

Ok thank you all very much for your valuable advice and being patient with my inability to describe.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users