Alimoney from "disabled" Vet

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Godsgraceandmercy

Godsgraceandmercy

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 02:51 PM

My husband of 6.5yrs has desereted me(he has been gone for over 7 months). I am on disability and so is my husband. Between his SS disability and his 100% VA benefits he receives $4,000 a month. My disability benefits total aproximately $1,300 a month. Will I be entitled to alimoney? We live in FL

#2 pg1067

pg1067

Platinum Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 46,250 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 02:58 PM

Here is a discussion of the factors Florida courts consider when a party to a divorce seeks alimony: http://www.divorcesu...limony-481.html.

#3 Guest_FindLaw_Amir_*

Guest_FindLaw_Amir_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 January 2013 - 10:42 AM

You may visit the Family Law Center and read Alimony as a good resource to learn more about this topic.

#4 Fallen

Fallen

Platinum Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,119 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 10:50 AM

No one can declare what will or won't happen in advance. That said, if you weren't disabled during the marriage, you can expect temporary spousal support pending the divorce and possibly for a short time thereafter.

Obviously, you need to consult with a few divorce attorneys and hire one. The longer you wait, the more of an argument you give him that you can do without support.

I'll echo PG's advisory "warning" with a twist: (Many) legal issues are complicated. Explanations and comments here might not fully identify or explain the ramifications of your particular problem. I do not give legal advice as such (and such is impermissible here at any rate). Comments are based on personal knowledge and experience and legal info gleaned over a quarter century, and every state has differing laws on and avenues to address most topics.  If you need legal advice, you need to consult (and pay) a professional so that you may have someone to hold accountable.  Acting on personal and informational advice from a stranger on the internet is a bad idea -- at least not without your own thorough due dilience/research and confirmation as it applies to your situation.  :)

#5 adjusterjack

adjusterjack

Platinum Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,919 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 03:41 PM

My husband of 6.5yrs has desereted me(he has been gone for over 7 months). I am on disability and so is my husband. Between his SS disability and his 100% VA benefits he receives $4,000 a month. My disability benefits total aproximately $1,300 a month. Will I be entitled to alimoney? We live in FL

There's no way to predict but, given the disparity of income, it's possible.

Check out the Florida State Courts Self-Help section for family law forms, rules and instructions.

Might be something you can handle without a lawyer.

http://www.flcourts....les/index.shtml

If you can't, then check out the resources for free or low cost legal aid:

http://www.flcourts....legal_aid.shtml

Warning: Legal issues are complicated. Explanations and comments here are simplified and might not fully explain the ramifications of your particular issue. I am not a lawyer. I do not give legal advice. I make comments based on my knowledge and experience. I guarantee nothing. If you act on my comments without the advice of an attorney, you do so at your own risk.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users