Social Status/Stereo Type Discrimination

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Nforce1

Nforce1

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 11:46 PM

I live in california, and work for a large company. I have always gone to work dressed like "you own the company". For that Ive always had comments regarding my dress and my economic status.

I come from a family that has a little bit of money, in which I have had a manager accuse me of "not performing" because "I dont NEED the job"...

Does this type of discrimination hold ground in court?

#2 Tax_Counsel

Tax_Counsel

Platinum Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,872 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 12:28 AM

Under federal law, it is illegal for an employer to discriminate against you because of your race, color, national origin, sex, religion, age (if you are age 40 or older), disability, or genetic test information. Under California state law, it is illegal for an employer to discriminate against you because of your race, religious creed, color, national origin, ancestry, physical disability (including AIDS and HIV), mental disability, medical condition, marital status, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), age (40 or older), or sexual orientation. Discrimination against you because you are or are perceived to be wealthy is not illegal under either federal or California law. Unless your local city or county has an ordinance that addresses it, there is nothing illegal in what you described here.

#3 pg1067

pg1067

Platinum Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 44,382 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 07:13 AM

No.

#4 FindLaw_Amir

FindLaw_Amir

Platinum Contributor

• Moderators
  • 62,345 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 07:55 AM

Discrimination and harassment in the workplace can come in many forms, and although such misconduct can sometimes be overt, it can be subtle or even concealed. To learn more about this subject matter, you may visit the Employment Law Center and read Employment Discrimination as as good resource.
FindLaw's Legal Heads-Up! newsletter can provide you with the legal resources you need to make informed decisions when law touches aspects of your everyday life.

#5 Fallen

Fallen

Platinum Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 58,980 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 08:02 AM

Even if there were such a thing as unlawful discrimination of someone because of their wealth or lack thereof, so far you haven't described how you've been discriminated against (while you get close to implying that you've lost out on advancement because your boss accuses you of non-performance, you don't get there).

Other than telling the boss you take issue with his assessment that you aren't performing let alone basing it on your bank account (and to tell folks you're sorry they feel X way about your dress and economic status), I'm not sure what to tell you. It may be that you stick out like a sore thumb, which might make insecure folks resentful.

I'll echo PG's advisory "warning" with a twist: (Many) legal issues are complicated. Explanations and comments here might not fully identify or explain the ramifications of your particular problem. I do not give legal advice as such (and such is impermissible here at any rate). Comments are based on personal knowledge and experience and legal info gleaned over a quarter century, and every state has differing laws on and avenues to address most topics.  If you need legal advice, you need to consult (and pay) a professional so that you may have someone to hold accountable.  Acting on personal and informational advice from a stranger on the internet is a bad idea -- at least not without your own thorough due dilience/research and confirmation as it applies to your situation.  :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users