looking to get custody of son

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 ballnonya3

ballnonya3

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 11:02 PM

I am a single father I have attempted to maintain a good relationship with my sons mother but after continuous attempts it seems to never get better. i live in texas and I know how hard it is for the father to get custody especially in texas unless you have a very good case. I have gathered several documents over the past couple years to eventually make my case in court but due to military, money, and time frame issues in texas i have not had the opportunity to go to court. My sons mother regularly smokes marijuana and has just recently started smoking the fake incent stuff again instead of marijuana. I try my best to keep it away from my son but I am not always successful. right now she has full custody and has already been investigated by cps and gone to jail atleast 3 times during the past two years while she has had my son. she right now supposedly has a warrant out for her arrest but i do not know how true that is. she is not able to afford healthcare for my son nor is she able to afford it for herself and she is supposed to get bipolar medication and has not taken it in months due to lack of healthcare. I support her financially so that my son can have a decent place to live and i can monitor closer exactly what goes on in his life. I also pay child support on top of paying for her and my son a place to live. I want to go to court but i do not want to spend all this time and effort only to get shot down by a judge later and not get custody. and also i am supposed to get deployed later on this year and that is what kind of scares me to go to court because i do not know exactly what the court will think of that while I am gone. I want my son to have his mother a part of his life i just know that I can take better care of him financially and he will not be exposed to the drug environment or have to see his mothers mood swings as much if i have custody. does any one think i have a strong enough case to actually make all of this happen in my favor? even with my military possibly being a factor in it later in the year?

#2 FindLaw_Amir

FindLaw_Amir

Platinum Contributor

• Moderators
  • 62,345 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 10:46 AM

In almost all situations, a court will keep one primary question in mind when deciding a custody case, namely, what is in the best interests of the child. The courts normally tend to look closely at which parent would most likely provide the child with a stable household. To learn more about this topic, visit the Family Law Center and read How to Get Custody as a good resource. I also suggest you discuss this child custody issue with a local Texas Family Law Lawyer to advise you further on how to proceed.
FindLaw's Legal Heads-Up! newsletter can provide you with the legal resources you need to make informed decisions when law touches aspects of your everyday life.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users