arbitration

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Miss_Patty

Miss_Patty

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 09:44 PM

I purchased a computer from *****.. When I turn on the computer to set it up I was asked to agree to a number of provisions in the contract of purchase. One of the provisions was required that any disputes arising under the agreement be submitted to a binding arbitration. Is this clause valid? What statutory rights and protection do I have in court?

Edited by FindLaw_AHK, 28 January 2013 - 08:18 AM.
This post has been edited to remove personal or identifying information. -Moderator

#2 Tax_Counsel

Tax_Counsel

Platinum Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,685 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 11:33 PM

I cannot comment specifically on the contract you were presented with, of course, since I’ve not read it. However, the Federal Arbitration Act (FAA), 9 U.S.C. §§ 1-16, provides that agreements to arbitate are enforceable except in the case of certain employment contracts and in circumstances where the agreement would be unenforceable under contract law for reasons other than the arbitration provision. So, assuming the contract is otherwise enforceable, the arbitration provision is almost certainly enforceable, too.

#3 Guest_FindLaw_Amir_*

Guest_FindLaw_Amir_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 January 2013 - 12:22 PM

You may want to read the LawBrain: Arbitration article as a good resource to learn more about this subject matter.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users