Age Requirements for Marriage

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 MsJocelyn3

MsJocelyn3

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 06:02 PM

I was wandering if there was a way to get married in Colorado without parental consent at 17. And if being pregnant would also make difference?
Thank you!

#2 Tax_Counsel

Tax_Counsel

Platinum Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,526 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 06:42 PM

I was wandering if there was a way to get married in Colorado without parental consent at 17. And if being pregnant would also make difference?
Thank you!

The only way to get married at 17 without parental consent in Colorado is to seek permission from the juvenile court (in Denver County) or the juvenile division of District Court (for any other county in Colorado) pursuant to Colo. Rev. Stat. ยงยง 14-2-106 & 108. You'd have to prove to the court that, notwithstanding the objection(s) of your parent or guardian, you are capable of assuming the capabilities of marriage and that marriage is your best interests. The statute specifically says that pregnancy alone does not establish that marriage is in your best interests. Note that the court will give considerable weight to the determination of your parent or guardian as to what is in your best interests. You may wish to consult a family law attorney for your best chance at it. Or just wait a year (or less) until you turn 18. Once you are 18 you don't need anyone's consent for marriage in Colorado. I doubt that things are so urgent you couldn't wait until then.

Most people mature and change considerably between ages 16 and about 25. You might wish to reconsider rushing into a marriage at 17 or 18 with the risk that you may end up divorced just a few years later as you and your spouse grow apart. Being pregnant is not itself a good reason to get married. Make sure you are entering into the marriage for the right reasons, not simply because you feel pressured by the pregnancy.

#3 Guest_FindLaw_Amir_*

Guest_FindLaw_Amir_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 January 2013 - 08:16 AM

To learn more about this subject matter, visit the Family Law Center: Marriage Law and read State-by-State Marriage "Age of Consent" Laws as a good resource.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users