RETURN OF PURCHASE DEPOSIT

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 saintsfan_0428

saintsfan_0428

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 06:01 PM

My senior citizen mother who resides in Alabama placed a deposit on the purchase some furniture and that night changed her mind. The next day she went to the store to void the sale and ask that her deposit be returned. She never took possession of the furniture. Its been a month and the store has not returned the deposit. What her her rights?

#2 prose7_2334

prose7_2334

• Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 09:46 PM

dnt panic it usually takes about a month before ur money is returned however yu have to stay on top of them and if it becomes a pain find ur local better business bureau and make a grievance. Good luck.

#3 adjusterjack

adjusterjack

Platinum Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,296 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 08:58 AM

My senior citizen mother who resides in Alabama placed a deposit on the purchase some furniture and that night changed her mind. The next day she went to the store to void the sale and ask that her deposit be returned. She never took possession of the furniture. Its been a month and the store has not returned the deposit. What her her rights?

What makes her (or you) think that the deposit is refundable?

Warning: Legal issues are complicated. Explanations and comments here are simplified and might not fully explain the ramifications of your particular issue. I am not a lawyer. I do not give legal advice. I make comments based on my knowledge and experience. I guarantee nothing. If you act on my comments without the advice of an attorney, you do so at your own risk.

#4 Tax_Counsel

Tax_Counsel

Platinum Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,272 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 03:41 PM

What [are] her rights?

Unless the sale was made in her home, her rights and obligations are determined solely by the contract for the purchase of the furniture. She may not have had a right to cancel the purchase at all. Even if she was permitted to cancel, the deposit may be nonrefundable. If the contract is in writing, get a copy of it and see what it says.

#5 pg1067

pg1067

Platinum Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 45,207 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 07:26 AM

What her her rights?

That's a rather vague question that really isn't worth answering. The better question would be whether she has any legal right to "void the sale" and get her money back. She likely doesn't, but it depends on the terms of the sale contract. Is there any particular reason why you and she (apparently) think she has the right to "void the sale" and get her money back? What was the response of the furniture store personnel when she returned to "void the sale"?

#6 FindLaw_Amir

FindLaw_Amir

Platinum Contributor

• Moderators
  • 62,345 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 07:54 AM

What does the refund policy state?
FindLaw's Legal Heads-Up! newsletter can provide you with the legal resources you need to make informed decisions when law touches aspects of your everyday life.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users