• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 cleanco

cleanco

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 09:14 AM

My state is TX
Since my daughter was born I have recieved earned income and the child tax credit. When I attempted to file my taxes this year I was told the online software said I do not qualify for the child tax credit because I owe no taxes. I have not owed taxes in previous years & qualified. My child lived with me the entire year, no one else has or can claim the credit. My income was 1,393.41. Can anyone tell me why I do not qualify for the credit.

#2 pg1067

pg1067

Platinum Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 45,550 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 09:42 AM

Obviously, we're not privy to information about your finances other than what you have shared with us.

Nevertheless, presumably, you did not have sufficient "earned income" and/or had little or no tax withheld from your minimal income. Presumably, your situation in the past was different with respect to one or both of those things. The child tax credit is not designed simply to give you money just because you have a child. I suggest you look at IRS form 8812 and the instructions for that form, both of which can be downloaded at www.irs.gov.

#3 Guest_FindLaw_Amir_*

Guest_FindLaw_Amir_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 January 2013 - 09:43 AM

You may be interested in reading The Child Tax Credit and the IRS: Child Tax Credit as a good resource to learn more about this subject matter. You may also consider signing up for a legal plan on LegalStreet. For less than $13 a month, you can ask a local Tax lawyer all the legal questions you want.

#4 Tax_Counsel

Tax_Counsel

Platinum Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,522 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 03:15 PM

My state is TX
Since my daughter was born I have recieved earned income and the child tax credit. When I attempted to file my taxes this year I was told the online software said I do not qualify for the child tax credit because I owe no taxes. I have not owed taxes in previous years & qualified. My child lived with me the entire year, no one else has or can claim the credit. My income was 1,393.41. Can anyone tell me why I do not qualify for the credit.

The general rule of the child tax credit is that the credit only offsets tax that you owe; it does not result in a refund to you. Part or all of the credit may be refundable if certain conditions are met, however. Not having seen the details of your returns, I cannot comment on why you might have had refundable credits in prior years but not this year. As a starting point, however, if you had no earned income (i.e. income from a job or self-employment) then no portion of the child tax credit is refundable. IRS publication 972 explains this credit in detail and should answer your questions about why things came out the way they did.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users