Recording a mortgage

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 MikTerry

MikTerry

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 06:33 AM

As part of a legal settlement several years ago, I was allowed to have a mortgage on a piece of property in Michigan. I live in Illinois. I now find out my then attorney failed to record the debt. Can I record the debt myself without an attorney?

#2 pg1067

pg1067

Platinum Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 46,255 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 07:29 AM

I have no idea what you mean by "record the debt." If you have a signed mortgage, you certainly can record it yourself without the assistance of an attorney. However, if I were you, I would get on the phone with the attorney, explain the situation, and demand that he/she fix the screw up and verify that no transfers of title or subsequent liens have been recorded that would have been junior to your mortgage had it been recorded in a timely manner.

#3 Guest_FindLaw_Amir_*

Guest_FindLaw_Amir_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 January 2013 - 10:39 AM

What debt are you referring to?

#4 MikTerry

MikTerry

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 01:54 PM

I am owed about $65K. This is the debt. I do not care to contact the attorney. He has been very uncooperative. How do I record the lien myself?

#5 Guest_FindLaw_Amir_*

Guest_FindLaw_Amir_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 January 2013 - 02:39 PM

You may want to contact the county recorder's office where the property is located as a good start.

#6 adjusterjack

adjusterjack

Platinum Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,923 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 02:43 PM

Take it to the county recorder's office, pay a small fee, and the document will be recorded and become public record.

Warning: Legal issues are complicated. Explanations and comments here are simplified and might not fully explain the ramifications of your particular issue. I am not a lawyer. I do not give legal advice. I make comments based on my knowledge and experience. I guarantee nothing. If you act on my comments without the advice of an attorney, you do so at your own risk.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users