Jump to content


felony charge

  • Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 strawberry69


    New Member

  • Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 05:08 PM

About two years ago I found myself in trouble. I was working at the dept of corrections ,and thats were it happen. To make a long story short I was charged with a felony . I was given two years probation i have never been in trouble before until then . I am not able to get a job ,because of the felony. My question is can I go back after two years and appeal the decision . I just want to get a good job and start my life back over . I am the sole provider in the house .

#2 Tax_Counsel


    Platinum Contributor

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,505 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 05:35 PM

You did not say in what state the conviction took place, and that matters because the rules for this are state law (unless you were convicted of a federal offense). You also did not say what the crime was and whether you plead guilty or whether you were convicted after a trial. That may also make a difference. Finally, you didn’t say what reason you’d have for overturning the conviction. You don’t get to go back and challenge the conviction simply becasue you’ve now found that the conviction record is causing you a hardship in finding work.

Very generally, the time for an appeal of a conviction is typically very short, usually somewhere between 20 and 90 days after the conviction or sentence was entered. Thus, the time for an appeal is probably long past here. Furthermore, if you plead guilty then in many states you waive most grounds for appeal of the conviction and might only be left with appealing the sentence that was imposed.

Even if you can't appeal, there might be a very few narrow avenues for relief in some states if you have the right facts. However, if your probation is over and you are no longer subject to supervision, you may find that about all that is left open to you is seeking a pardon from the governor. Pardons in most states are hard to get, especially when not a lot of time has passed since you completed serving the sentence for the crime.

You may wish to consult a criminal defense attorney in the state where the conviction was entered for advice. There simply isn't enough information here for anyone to tell you with certainty whether there is anything you can do at this point.

#3 Legal_Balla



  • Members
  • PipPip
  • 156 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 08:42 AM

Please consult with local counsel to help you understand the laws of your state that apply to this matter. We don't have enough information to help you here.

#4 Guest_FindLaw_Amir_*

  • Guests

Posted 25 January 2013 - 08:51 AM

I agree with the previous poster, you may want to consult with a local lawyer to address this issue. You may consider signing up for LegalStreet. You can ask all of your questions to a local lawyer for less than $13 per month and also get discounted legal representation if you need.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users