Handicap Parking

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 mamaboop3

mamaboop3

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 07:37 PM

I live in Illinois. At my home my landlord has put a hadicap parking sign up for me. She said that it is her sign and on private property so really anybody can park there. I have a placard but didn't have it up one day and got a ticket. Is she right or wrong?

#2 adjusterjack

adjusterjack

Platinum Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,949 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 07:43 AM

I live in Illinois. At my home my landlord has put a hadicap parking sign up for me. She said that it is her sign and on private property so really anybody can park there. I have a placard but didn't have it up one day and got a ticket. Is she right or wrong?

Right about what?

She's right - it's her sign.

She's right - It's her property.

She's right - Anybody with handicap plates or placard can park there.

What does all that have to do with you getting a ticket?

You didn't have your placard, you got a ticket.

You might get it dismissed by showing your handicap ID at the court.

Warning: Legal issues are complicated. Explanations and comments here are simplified and might not fully explain the ramifications of your particular issue. I am not a lawyer. I do not give legal advice. I make comments based on my knowledge and experience. I guarantee nothing. If you act on my comments without the advice of an attorney, you do so at your own risk.

#3 mamaboop3

mamaboop3

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 02:42 PM

I was wondering if my ticket was valid since I was on private property.

#4 pg1067

pg1067

Platinum Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 44,336 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 03:36 PM

Since most handicapped parking spaces are located on private property (e.g., a grocery store parking lot), I can't imagine that would matter.

#5 Tax_Counsel

Tax_Counsel

Platinum Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,859 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 12:11 PM

I was wondering if my ticket was valid since I was on private property.

The answer to that is yes, the ticket is good even though your car was parked on private property. The first sentence of Illinois Vehicle Code (625 ILCS 5/) section 11-1301.3(a) provides the rule that applies here:

(a) It shall be prohibited to park any motor vehicle which is not properly displaying registration plates or decals issued to a person with disabilities, as defined by Section 1-159.1, pursuant to Sections 3-616, 11-1301.1 or 11-1301.2, or to a disabled veteran pursuant to Section 3-609 of this Act, as evidence that the vehicle is operated by or for a person with disabilities or disabled veteran, in any parking place, including any private or public offstreet parking facility, specifically reserved, by the posting of an official sign as designated under Section 11-301, for motor vehicles displaying such registration plates.

(underlining added). As you can see from the statute, it specifically makes it an offense to park in a designated disabled parking space that is on private property without displaying a disabled registration plate or decal.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users