• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Goosem

Goosem

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 05:16 PM

Dear all,

I bought a used car from a car broker in GA in September 2012. I paid in full with cash.($6000,This is foolish). Fortunately this car can not pass the Emission test which is required in our county, so I could not register the car under my name. I have asked the broker either to fix the car in order to pass the Emission or money back, but the broker keep giving me loaner junk car to drive.

Last week the broker offered me another car push me to register it, but I found this one is from auto auction and it has serious transmission's problem, and it certainly can not pass the Emission, but this car has passed Emission in April 2012. Again I asked the broker either to fix the car in order to pass the Emission or money back, but the broker promised (orally) to fix it and give me another loaner car to drive.

Now five months have passed my neighbour always see me drive different junk cars with temporary tag on car tail.

Is the broker violate the law? What should I do? sue the broker in small claims court? or criminal court?
Thank you in advance!

#2 Guest_FindLaw_Amir_*

Guest_FindLaw_Amir_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 January 2013 - 09:46 AM

You may want to contact the Georgia Governor's Office of Consumer Protection as a good start to address your concerns.

#3 Fallen

Fallen

Platinum Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,119 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 11:30 AM

Unclear what importance you're placing on registering the car in your name. Bottom line is that unless you ensured a purchase contract conditioned the sale on you being able to register it in your name, you bought this car. You do not say what kind of warranty came with purchase, if any, or whether (more likely) you bought as-is. What your recourse is depends on terms of contract.

You haven't said anything to indicate there's any criminal conduct involved here. As for what you should do, that depends on the terms of your contract. We cannot know from here if you bought as is; if so, the seller has a defense if you sue it in small claims. (Lucky for you, the GA small claims limit is quite a lot higher than most, so suing for a partial refund would be well within its limits. Even if your contract wasn't as-is, note that owning and driving it for so long means you wouldn't be in a position to expect all your money back. I'm a bit confused how it is that you keep driving on temporary tags, unless you're saying that the seller keeps issuing you new ones.)

I'll echo PG's advisory "warning" with a twist: (Many) legal issues are complicated. Explanations and comments here might not fully identify or explain the ramifications of your particular problem. I do not give legal advice as such (and such is impermissible here at any rate). Comments are based on personal knowledge and experience and legal info gleaned over a quarter century, and every state has differing laws on and avenues to address most topics.  If you need legal advice, you need to consult (and pay) a professional so that you may have someone to hold accountable.  Acting on personal and informational advice from a stranger on the internet is a bad idea -- at least not without your own thorough due dilience/research and confirmation as it applies to your situation.  :)

#4 Goosem

Goosem

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 04:35 PM

I am a foreigner, when arrived Ga, USA, I found that broker on line. He give me the car and I paid the money, he promised me to give me title and tag within one week. I realized later it was the Georgia's Clean Air Force (http://www.cleanairforce.com/) who protected me from buying the junk car, which could not pass the Emission. If the broker had given me the title and tag I would have to pay thousands of dollars to repair this car in order to register it the following year. I had to return the car to him because I can feel engin problem and the tag expired.

Last week he gave me was the forth car. Now I am driving is the fifth one. All the cars he gave me have serious problem (transmission or engin) which certainly can not pass Emission. Some of them the check engin light on dash board was blocked on purpose.

The broker must have known the Emission law of GA, as he told me that he was doing car business in GA for 12 years. Why did he keep giving me cars without Emission? Is he violate the law at this point? If yes I can push him to finish our business.
As I told the broker last year, if only you gave the car which can pass the Emission, just as Georgia Clean air Force encourage car buyer to do, our business is over. I am tired.

Thank you again to read my post.

#5 disabled4life

disabled4life

Bronze Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 253 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 08:16 AM

http://consumer.geor...ing-a-complaint

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users