Jump to content


What can I do about father fleeing to WVA and owing now 12k??

  • Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 karmakgt


    New Member

  • Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 11:54 AM

Please if someone can help guide us in the right direction.We are married, live in Florida , and our case is in Virginia. The father of 2 teenagers fled to West Virginia to avoid DCSE in the state of Virginia, after we spent thousands getting him into court up there finally, since we live in Florida and every time he was a no show we still had to be there! He was court ordered to notify change of address and/or employer within 30 days, and has a history taking off & disappearing like this. He was already let off of over 8k in arearages once (long time ago) to be nice and I see that was a big mistake. Now the total is over 12k and growing, and even though I've told DCSE Virginia the small town he's living in, nobody will do anything about finding him. I'm about to be living in my car as we have both lost our jobs recently due to the place we worked at going out of business in this lovely Florida economy. He is only ordered to pay 50 a week for two kids and he's over 12k behind and counting. We are broke please HELP!!!

#2 Fallen


    Platinum Contributor

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 61,137 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 12:01 PM

Moving to another state doesn't mean the chlid supportment folks can't find them (and you ought to file case w/ FL child support enforcement folks if you intend to stay and no longer live in VA ... even if family court that ordered it in is VA (not clear why you didn't xfer family court case to FL).

Sounds like you need to work local charitable organizations, and possibly move to a different place (back to VA?). I'm afraid it sounds like you left this all too late, and it's best not to expect child support folks to pursue if you no longer live there.

Also sounds like you're holding out hope that this dude has access to thousands, which presumably isn't the case if you'd let him off the hook as to prior owed thousands.

I'll echo PG's advisory "warning" with a twist: (Many) legal issues are complicated. Explanations and comments here might not fully identify or explain the ramifications of your particular problem. I do not give legal advice as such (and such is impermissible here at any rate). Comments are based on personal knowledge and experience and legal info gleaned over a quarter century, and every state has differing laws on and avenues to address most topics.  If you need legal advice, you need to consult (and pay) a professional so that you may have someone to hold accountable.  Acting on personal and informational advice from a stranger on the internet is a bad idea -- at least not without your own thorough due dilience/research and confirmation as it applies to your situation.  :)

#3 karmakgt


    New Member

  • Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 12:16 PM

First of all, thank you for responding so fast, we appreciate any help we can get! The reason we spent the money to go where he lived in Virginia is because we've heard horror stories down here in Florida about their being slack , while the state of Virginia has a reputation of being tough and more apt to collect from him, they jailed him once over the earlier case, and his family bailed him out and arrears were paid (like 3k), then it grew to 8k again, and at the time I was young and what can I say I screwed up and let him off, and of course he never did what he said he would do in return. We are working on employment as we speak, and are both in our "waiting week" and making plans to move and do what we have to do to be in a better situation.

#4 Guest_FindLaw_Amir_*

  • Guests

Posted 17 January 2013 - 11:39 AM

To learn more about this subject matter, you may visit the Family Law Center: Child Support and read Child Support Enforcement as a good resource.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users