liablity Officers and suspect????

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 truckster88

truckster88

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 07:07 AM

was in accident with minor. found out minor was leaving house party. had been drinking at party. admitted drinking to officer. officer give citation, release to parent, no field soberity test.(ticket said failure to yield right of way(ran stop sign), minor consuming alcoholic beverage.) surgery on shoulder back surgery possible. was officer doing their duty or what?

#2 Guest_FindLaw_Amir_*

Guest_FindLaw_Amir_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 January 2013 - 07:16 AM

Were you cited for the failure to yield right of way? Did you not stop for a stop sign?

#3 adjusterjack

adjusterjack

Platinum Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,715 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 07:57 AM

was officer doing their duty or what?

Of course.

Why would you think otherwise?

The minor was at fault.

That's all you need to know to make a claim against the insurance that covers the car he was driving.

Warning: Legal issues are complicated. Explanations and comments here are simplified and might not fully explain the ramifications of your particular issue. I am not a lawyer. I do not give legal advice. I make comments based on my knowledge and experience. I guarantee nothing. If you act on my comments without the advice of an attorney, you do so at your own risk.

#4 truckster88

truckster88

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 05:13 AM

no i was not cited but the officer did not give sobriety test and released minor to mother. minor admitted was drinking just left house party. also had liquor in car.

#5 truckster88

truckster88

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 05:14 AM

Were you cited for the failure to yield right of way? Did you not stop for a stop sign?

i didn't have a stop sign.

#6 pg1067

pg1067

Platinum Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 45,771 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 08:44 AM

The only concrete thing you've given us is that the officer did not do a field sobriety test.. Whether to do one or not was entirely within the officer's discretion. If you intended more to your question, please clarify.

#7 adjusterjack

adjusterjack

Platinum Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,715 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 09:19 AM

no i was not cited but the officer did not give sobriety test and released minor to mother. minor admitted was drinking just left house party. also had liquor in car.

As I noted earlier, what the officer did or did not do has nothing to do with your claim against the driver for compensation.

Have you had any discussions with the driver's insurance company yet?

Warning: Legal issues are complicated. Explanations and comments here are simplified and might not fully explain the ramifications of your particular issue. I am not a lawyer. I do not give legal advice. I make comments based on my knowledge and experience. I guarantee nothing. If you act on my comments without the advice of an attorney, you do so at your own risk.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users