bank refuses any loan info

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 colenika

colenika

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 12 January 2013 - 05:31 AM

My mother (an only child) was put on the deed of my grandparents house years ago. they passed away 3 years ago. my mother has been paying on a interest only loan for the mortage. when she contacts the bank to get info so she can refinance it, they tell her she is not on the loan and refuse to give her any info. she's on the title as a owner but didn't sign on the loan. The loan company tried to get her to sign new papers but she did not since they say they won't even turn over the title if we pay it off. how can she get the loan in her name? This is in california.

#2 adjusterjack

adjusterjack

Platinum Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,949 posts

Posted 12 January 2013 - 03:11 PM

My mother (an only child) was put on the deed of my grandparents house years ago. they passed away 3 years ago. my mother has been paying on a interest only loan for the mortage. when she contacts the bank to get info so she can refinance it, they tell her she is not on the loan and refuse to give her any info. she's on the title as a owner but didn't sign on the loan.

That's true.

The lender has no legal obligation to give her any loan information that doesn't have her name on it.

The loan company tried to get her to sign new papers but she did not

Why not?

What were the papers?

since they say they won't even turn over the title if we pay it off.

That doesn't make sense.

Once the loan is paid off they would have to issue and record a lien release. Maybe not to her, but certainly in the name of the original borrowers which would be just as good.

how can she get the loan in her name? This is in california.

Refinance with another lender. That lender's escrow company will handle all the paperwork for the loan payoff and recording of appropriate documents.

Warning: Legal issues are complicated. Explanations and comments here are simplified and might not fully explain the ramifications of your particular issue. I am not a lawyer. I do not give legal advice. I make comments based on my knowledge and experience. I guarantee nothing. If you act on my comments without the advice of an attorney, you do so at your own risk.

#3 pg1067

pg1067

Platinum Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 44,375 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 08:15 AM

Sounds like your mother failed to probate her parents' estates properly and should contact a local attorney to get advice about doing so.

#4 FindLaw_Amir

FindLaw_Amir

Platinum Contributor

• Moderators
  • 62,345 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 01:41 PM

I agree with the previous poster, you may want to contact a local Lawyer to address this matter.
FindLaw's Legal Heads-Up! newsletter can provide you with the legal resources you need to make informed decisions when law touches aspects of your everyday life.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users