no new lease

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 tlperf

tlperf

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 05:24 AM

what happens when you have no lease, it is the 9th of the month and he is now comeing to you with a month to month lease the day after you told him you were moving by the 18th of the month. I have a 200. deposit and for the 18 days at 625. i owe him 380. but don't have it. He threated to call my new landlord

#2 pg1067

pg1067

Platinum Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 44,327 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 08:04 AM

what happens when you have no lease, it is the 9th of the month and he is now comeing to you with a month to month lease the day after you told him you were moving by the 18th of the month.

I don't understand the question. Potentially, hundreds or thousands of things might happen under those circumstances. Can you clarify your question?

#3 adjusterjack

adjusterjack

Platinum Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,949 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 09:30 AM

what happens when you have no lease, it is the 9th of the month and he is now comeing to you with a month to month lease the day after you told him you were moving by the 18th of the month. I have a 200. deposit and for the 18 days at 625. i owe him 380. but don't have it. He threated to call my new landlord

If your rent was due on the first of the month you had to pay it for the whole month. Most states do not permit pro-rating and most states require you to give one month written notice of termination and most states do not permit applying the security deposit to last month's rent.

There is also nothing illegal about the LL threatening to call your new LL and nothing illegal about him actually calling your new LL as long as what he tells your new LL the truth about what's happening (that you have defaulted on the current month's rent).

Seems like you are well on your way to being on the receiving end of a lawsuit at some point in the future if you don't pay your rent for the month.

Warning: Legal issues are complicated. Explanations and comments here are simplified and might not fully explain the ramifications of your particular issue. I am not a lawyer. I do not give legal advice. I make comments based on my knowledge and experience. I guarantee nothing. If you act on my comments without the advice of an attorney, you do so at your own risk.

#4 FindLaw_Amir

FindLaw_Amir

Platinum Contributor

• Moderators
  • 62,345 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 10:05 AM

What state is this concerning? To learn more about your rights as a tenant, you may wish to visit the Real Estate Law Center: Landlord-Tenant Law and read Tenant Rights as a good resource.
FindLaw's Legal Heads-Up! newsletter can provide you with the legal resources you need to make informed decisions when law touches aspects of your everyday life.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users