boyfriend-girlfriend?

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 radarmom

radarmom

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 06:12 PM

a mother in ky. gives gaurdianship of her 16 year old daughter to daughters 20 year old boyfiend in alabama. is this legal to do?

#2 Ted_from_Texas

Ted_from_Texas

Platinum Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,046 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 06:49 PM

A legal guardianship can only be established by order of a court of competent jurisdiction, so it appears the mother did not "give" guardianship to the boyfriend.

However, absent a court order that says otherwise, a parent has the right to specify where and with whom his or her child can live, so if she has given her daughter permission to live in Alabama with the boyfriend, no laws I know of have been broken. Note that the age of consent for sex in both Kentucky and Alabama is 16.

#3 radarmom

radarmom

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 08:59 AM

WOW! i would think thats a receipe for alot of disaster. isn't there something mom done to break the law as far as ditching your kid? i can't understand if one is a minor and the other is more minor that adult that there's some kind of law broken here. so let me get this right, you have to 21 to drink but you can be 20 or less to play house?

#4 Guest_FindLaw_Amir_*

Guest_FindLaw_Amir_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 January 2013 - 09:26 AM

To learn more about this subject matter, you may want to visit the Family Law Center: Guardianship and read Guardianship Basics as a good resource.

#5 Ted_from_Texas

Ted_from_Texas

Platinum Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,046 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 10:10 AM

"So let me get this right, you have to 21 to drink but you can be 20 or less to play house?"

Yup, that's about the size of it.

#6 pg1067

pg1067

Platinum Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 46,255 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 11:49 AM

isn't there something mom done to break the law as far as ditching your kid?

The law requires that parents take reasonable measures to provide a reasonably safe place to live, food, and clothing. No law prohibits a parent from having someone else provide these things for the child. For example, many parents will allow their children to live with a sibling or grandparents, with the sibling or grandparents providing the child's food, clothing, and shelter. No law prohibits that, and no law says that the same sort of arrangement cannot be made with a non-relative such as the child's boyfriend or girlfriend. While such an arrangement might not be objectively wise, it's not illegal.

i can't understand if one is a minor and the other is more minor that adult that there's some kind of law broken here.

This sentence is pretty well incoherent.

so let me get this right, you have to 21 to drink but you can be 20 or less to play house?

Yup. Also note that, in most states, persons who are 19 or 20 are legal adults.

#7 radarmom

radarmom

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 03:42 PM

thank you for replying to my concerns. i might not like what i read on this but i do thank you for leading me to info. page. thanks again!

#8 missingmyhubby

missingmyhubby

Bronze Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 340 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 08:30 AM

a mother in ky. gives gaurdianship of her 16 year old daughter to daughters 20 year old boyfiend in alabama. is this legal to do?

if you are not the other parent this is none of your business.

#9 pg1067

pg1067

Platinum Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 46,255 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 11:53 AM

if you are not the other parent this is none of your business.

How is this a useful response at all?

#10 radarmom

radarmom

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 04:52 PM

well if you think your son could end up in prison,then it's important! as far as useful,then maybe i'll be the one to start the ball rolling by voicing my opinion. but being rude shows me you don't have anywhere else to vent. but if you would like to use my situation to feel like you are a part of something then let it rip. so why don't we just call it a day! :rolleyes:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users