exhusband's liability

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 MikTerry

MikTerry

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 02:15 PM

We were divorced about twenty five years ago. We started living together again about seven years ago. I bought a house. My ex is not on title. He is accumulating large liabilitiesin the form of judgements. Can the judgements be attached to my house? I live in Illinois.

#2 pg1067

pg1067

Platinum Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 45,216 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 02:17 PM

Since you're not married and he is not on title, no.

#3 MikTerry

MikTerry

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 06:38 AM

Two of his creditors have filed liens on my house. I am about to sell the house. Will these liens muddy the transfer of title to a buyer? If so, how do I remove the liens?

#4 pg1067

pg1067

Platinum Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 45,216 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 08:03 AM

Do the liens expressly attach to the title of your house, or do they generally attach his interest in any real property without specifically mentioning your property?

If the former, you will have to file legal action to remove the liens (assuming the creditors won't do it voluntarily). If the latter, then you simply will need to convince the buyer and the title company that the liens do not, in fact, attach to your property for the reasons I mentioned.

Specifics obviously depend on the laws of your state, which you didn't identify, so I suggest you consult with a local real estate lawyer.

#5 FindLaw_Amir

FindLaw_Amir

Platinum Contributor

• Moderators
  • 62,345 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 10:15 AM

I agree with the previous poster, you may wish to consult with a local Real Estate Lawyer for clarification on this matter.
FindLaw's Legal Heads-Up! newsletter can provide you with the legal resources you need to make informed decisions when law touches aspects of your everyday life.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users