Photo

Roommate won't stay sober to sell house (Joint Tenancy)

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 reneel2006

reneel2006

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 06:15 AM

I currently own a home in Michigan with my x-boyfriend as Joint Tenancy. We each own 50% of the deed and 50% of the mortgage. We verbally agreed to put the house for sale 02/01/13. The problem is that he is an alcoholic and sometimes becomes so drunk that he urinates and vomits on himself and his surroundings; which leads to a foul odor and dirty carpets. I am trying to make the house look presentable for potential buyers. But it is impossible as each time I clean, it becomes dirty again. Also, he sometimes threatens that he is not signing anything because he really wants the house. Can a Judge order to him to stay sober so that we can show the house? Do I have to file a Partition to make sure he sells? He cannot afford (he is currently unemployed) to get the mortgage in his name only. Family cannot afford to co-sign with him either. If so, I would sign over a quit claim deed and walk away. I do not want the house. Thank you.

#2 adjusterjack

adjusterjack

Platinum Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,720 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 07:24 AM

I currently own a home in Michigan with my x-boyfriend as Joint Tenancy.

Well, now you know how incredibly foolish that was.

Can a Judge order to him to stay sober so that we can show the house?

Sure.

And you think that a judge's order will keep a drunk sober? Think again.

Do I have to file a Partition to make sure he sells?

It's probably going to come to that so I suggest you consult an attorney asap. Otherwise you'll be no better off in 6 months or a year than you are now.

He cannot afford (he is currently unemployed) to get the mortgage in his name only. Family cannot afford to co-sign with him either. If so, I would sign over a quit claim deed and walk away. I do not want the house.

You don't want to do that as long as your name is on the mortgage.

Warning: Legal issues are complicated. Explanations and comments here are simplified and might not fully explain the ramifications of your particular issue. I am not a lawyer. I do not give legal advice. I make comments based on my knowledge and experience. I guarantee nothing. If you act on my comments without the advice of an attorney, you do so at your own risk.

#3 pg1067

pg1067

Platinum Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 45,786 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 07:39 AM

Yes and yes. Have you considered offering to buy him out?

#4 Guest_FindLaw_Amir_*

Guest_FindLaw_Amir_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 January 2013 - 02:35 PM

You may visit the Real Estate Law Center and read Buying a House with Someone as a good resource to learn more about this subject matter.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users