Photo

After an inspection of a new structure, what can be done.

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Andahardplace

Andahardplace

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 12:57 PM

After a structure has been built and approved by a town inspector what legal course does the town have if you add heat to it at a later date? The new codes for buillding a heated structure are redicules and over the norm making new heated construction unaffordable and in some case down right impossible. Some items needed arent even on the market let alone affordable yet there is this magical law saying you need it. After a permit has been issued and the inspector has come and gone signing off on a un heated structure, what recourse does a town have IF someone tattles or the inspector comes back for a second look? Thank you. Woburn MA

#2 adjusterjack

adjusterjack

Platinum Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,736 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 01:13 PM

The worst that the town can do is fine you for a code violation. Unfortunately, many code violation fines pile up for each day that the situation is uncorrected. When it comes to a lot of money, the town can put a lien on the home or file suit and get a judgment for the money.

Can't imagine why anybody would build an unheated structure in MA in the first place just to have to whine about the codes later.

One option, of course, is to use space heaters and electric blankets. Those aren't likely to be code violations.

Warning: Legal issues are complicated. Explanations and comments here are simplified and might not fully explain the ramifications of your particular issue. I am not a lawyer. I do not give legal advice. I make comments based on my knowledge and experience. I guarantee nothing. If you act on my comments without the advice of an attorney, you do so at your own risk.

#3 Guest_FindLaw_Amir_*

Guest_FindLaw_Amir_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 January 2013 - 02:12 PM

Would mostly depend on the code violation you are referring to. For further clarification on any such recourse, you may consult with a local Woburn, Massachusetts Land Use and Zoning Lawyer.

#4 Andahardplace

Andahardplace

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 02:18 PM

Adjusterjack - Thank you for the reply. Do you have first hand knowledge of Woburn MA inspections? Do they go back and re-inspect after final inspection? Do you know where the fines and there rates are posted? Have you seen the new codes for a new heated building lately? Go ahead and check them out and tell me how much you think it would cost. Some of them are - fully insulated cemment slab, R-21in the walls and R32 in the ceilings, R-32 insulated doors and garage doors with elaborate sealing system, just to start with. Guess what those costs? Way more than you will be saving in heating bills for the next 20 years. I agree with higher R value insulation which is a small cost but insulating a cemment floor and tripling the cost of a door is totally not worth it - but forced upon you by the people who decided for you and sell them to you. They are forcing you to spend thousands for items that don't really make much a difference in the few months the heat is on in MA. A real waste in a construction budget. All this while old construction right next to it, which literally oozes heat out of every pore, is grandfathered. Thats the real energy waster there not uninsulated 6" cement ground slab. Ok, Done whining. Thank you.

#5 adjusterjack

adjusterjack

Platinum Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,736 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 03:19 PM

If I were to complain about all the laws that cost me more money than I think they should cost me, I'd be here all week without any breaks to eat or sleep.

No matter where anybody lives, some law or other is going to be costly and/or inconvenient. Believe me, I've got my share of them in AZ.

Warning: Legal issues are complicated. Explanations and comments here are simplified and might not fully explain the ramifications of your particular issue. I am not a lawyer. I do not give legal advice. I make comments based on my knowledge and experience. I guarantee nothing. If you act on my comments without the advice of an attorney, you do so at your own risk.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users