Options for name changes after marriage

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 cc12acct

cc12acct

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 12:21 PM

I am planning to get married and I have questions about hyphenating or not hyphenating my last name. My daughter has my maiden name, so I want to continue using it at least partially. I have heard that if you hyphenate your last name, you can actually still go by either name singly or hyphenated when you choose. I have also heard you can just add the husband's name on to the end of your own name without hyphenating and use your maiden name as part of your middle name. I don't need the option of using only my maiden name at any time (except to maybe take my time after the wedding to get the necessary stuff switched over), just to include it as part of my legal name so that I am still connected to my daughter in name. But I do want the option to use only my husband's last name as my last name when I wish, just to make it shorter and easier in most situations - but can you do that if it is hyphenated? I am sorry to ramble, I just am not sure what to do. Thank you.

#2 pg1067

pg1067

Platinum Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 45,651 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 12:26 PM

Both of these things are true. You can also call yourself "Jack the Ripper" or "Florence Nightengale" if you like -- regardless of whether you hyphenate your name, add your husband's name to your current name or change your name completely.

In other words, you can use whatever name you like, and the name you used will have no bearing at all on your connection to your child. The only thing you cannot do legally is use an assumed name for the purpose of committing a crime.

#3 Guest_FindLaw_Amir_*

Guest_FindLaw_Amir_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 January 2013 - 12:27 PM

You may visit the Family Law Center: Marriage Law and read Changing your Name after Marriage.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users