Photo

When can my daughters have their say in court?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 mom.of.three

mom.of.three

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 08:30 AM

At what age can my daughters decide what parent they would like to live with in Louisiana?

#2 LegalwriterOne

LegalwriterOne

Platinum Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,530 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 08:44 AM

When they are 18 and adults. Before then, they are the subject of the custody order, not a party to it. The court may consider their preference around age 14 but what they want is not controlling.

#3 FindLaw_Amir

FindLaw_Amir

Platinum Contributor

• Moderators
  • 62,345 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 10:50 AM

Do you have a custody order in place? Generally, the child can choose when they turn 18 and become an adult. To learn more about this subject matter, you may visit the Family Law Center and read Child Custody as a good resource. For further clarification on your specific situation, you may want to consult with a local Family Law Lawyer.
FindLaw's Legal Heads-Up! newsletter can provide you with the legal resources you need to make informed decisions when law touches aspects of your everyday life.

#4 pg1067

pg1067

Platinum Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 45,135 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 12:09 PM

At what age can my daughters decide what parent they would like to live with in Louisiana?

They can decide what they would like at any age. Only when they turn 18 do they get to decide for themselves where they live. Starting around the age of 12, the court may consider a child's preference -- as one of many factors -- in determining or modifying custody.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users