Jump to content


How long does the plaintiff have to file the Satisfaction of judgement, once its paid in full?

  • Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Ceigeme


    New Member

  • Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 05:50 PM

I was sued in October of 2007 by a roomate of mine. The money due to the roomate after the trial was $534. They garnished my paychecks in November, and December of 2007, and the Court Garnishment division is stating that the judgement is showing the final check arrived on 1/18/2008. The Plaintiff did not file the satisfaction of judgement until 8/14/2010. Do I have legal recourse?

The reason I investigated this was because the inital judgement is on my credit showing UNPAID from 2007. There is a second judgemnet now showing on my credit as UNPAID for $1323 same case number. This showed up after I disputed the first judgement because it was paid, and supposed to have been showing paid.

I'm trying to continue to move on with my life, and trying to buy a place to live, and these are now affecting my Car Insurance, My home ownership rights to a loan, and came into huge speculation when I had to get a new car due to an accident.

The man that sued me is a psychopath and stalked me. The courst are telling me that I have to contact him and get him to sign something showing that he received the checks and was paid in full in January 2008.

I need deperate help on finding out if I have a legal recourse in this. This man has haunted me for years and its now all coming back up fresh.

Please help me If you can.

I am in the state of Missouri, and the city the case was filed in was St Charles.

#2 Guest_FindLaw_Amir_*

  • Guests

Posted 04 January 2013 - 12:03 PM

Did the garnishment division issue you anything stating that payment was garnished?

#3 adjusterjack


    Platinum Contributor

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,311 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 03:20 PM

The courts are telling me

I've never seen buildings talk except in cartoons.

Who, exactly, told you that and under what circumstances was it told to you.

Reason I ask is that it's probably not exactly true and you should be able to "properly" file a motion to have the judge issue a satisfaction of judgment as long as you can provide enough documentation that the judgment was satisfied.

I suspect that you will have to consult an attorney to get that done right.

You might be entitled to attorney fees if the failure to file the satisfaction was willful.

Warning: Legal issues are complicated. Explanations and comments here are simplified and might not fully explain the ramifications of your particular issue. I am not a lawyer. I do not give legal advice. I make comments based on my knowledge and experience. I guarantee nothing. If you act on my comments without the advice of an attorney, you do so at your own risk.

#4 Tax_Counsel


    Platinum Contributor

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,505 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 06:41 PM

I've never seen buildings talk except in cartoons.

Neither have I. But the courts are not buildings. A courthouse is a building. A court is a government entity, much like the IRS, state legislature, and police department are all government entities. They are all housed in buildings, but are not themselves buildings. A government entity can “speak” in official pronouncements, orders, etc., issued by the entity involved.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users