Photo

How to Start a Bill to Limit or Terminate Employee Background Checks in North Carolina

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 nljackson

nljackson

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 02:37 PM

I live in North Carolina. As far as I am aware, no bill has been submitted to congress to terminate or limit employee background checks in this state. I would like to know how I can verify if such a bill exists, and if there is no bill, how I can get a bill started? Do I draft the bill myself and present it to our state senator? Do I first start with a petition?

What have you done so far?
Did a bit of research on the web and found that there are eight other states that have passed a bill limiting employee background checks. North Carolina was not among them.
http://www.ncsl.org/...2012-legis.aspx

#2 Tax_Counsel

Tax_Counsel

Platinum Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,372 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 03:44 PM

As far as I am aware, no bill has been submitted to congress to terminate or limit employee background checks in this state. I would like to know how I can verify if such a bill exists, and if there is no bill, how I can get a bill started? Do I draft the bill myself and present it to our state senator?

Congress passes laws that are national in scope and affect all states. Most employment law, however, is state law and this is an issue best addressed at the state level. You can read the state statutes in your state to see if there is already a law covering this. In NC, that would likely be in Chapter 95 of the state statutes since that chapter covers employment law. From what I can see, NC doesn't have a statute limiting the use of background checks for job applicants.

If you want to get a law passed in your state to have restrictions on employer's use of background checks, contact the offices of your local state representative, state senator, and the governor's office and urge that they support such a law. You don't need to draft the law yourself, but if you find a law in another state is that close to what you want, you might include a copy of that to give the legislators a better of idea of what you are looking for. If you can get friends or relatives in the state to contact their representatives, too, that can help. The more support you can show for the proposed law, the more likely it is that some representative or senator will introduce a bill for it.

#3 Guest_FindLaw_Amir_*

Guest_FindLaw_Amir_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 January 2013 - 12:39 PM

As the previous poster stated, you may want to contact your local and state representatives to advocate for such a law.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users