• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Sunshine_0000

Sunshine_0000

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 09:52 AM

Hi,

I am a US Citizen my husband was deported in 2001 and re-entered illegaly in 2002. He now has a 10 year bar and is unable to apply for a waiver unless he leaves the country and waits for the 10 years. With the recentley approved law that will take effect on 03/04/2013 can we apply for the I-601 waiver of inadmissability even if he is inadmissable due to reentry.

Thank You

#2 FindLaw_Amir

FindLaw_Amir

Platinum Contributor

• Moderators
  • 62,345 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 10:03 AM

Why was your husband deported in 2001?
FindLaw's Legal Heads-Up! newsletter can provide you with the legal resources you need to make informed decisions when law touches aspects of your everyday life.

#3 Sunshine_0000

Sunshine_0000

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 10:07 AM

He was at work and there was an immigration raid.

#4 FindLaw_Amir

FindLaw_Amir

Platinum Contributor

• Moderators
  • 62,345 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 10:18 AM

If an applicant is inadmissible because they have been unlawfully present in the United States for more than 180 days (3-year bar) or one year (10-year bar), they may apply for a Waiver of Ground of Inadmissibility on Form I-601. You may want to read: INA: ACT 212 - GENERAL CLASSES OF ALIENS INELIGIBLE TO RECEIVE VISAS AND INELIGIBLE FOR ADMISSION; WAIVERS OF INADMISSIBILLITY section 212 (a) (9) B. I would also highly suggest you consult with a local Immigration Lawyer to advise you further in detail about your husband's specific immigration status.
FindLaw's Legal Heads-Up! newsletter can provide you with the legal resources you need to make informed decisions when law touches aspects of your everyday life.

#5 Sunshine_0000

Sunshine_0000

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 10:50 AM

Thank you for your response and the link. I was told by our last attrouney that he was not allowed to apply for a waiver because he reentered. He need to wait 10 years outside of the united states
and then apply. I am hoping this new change would apply to us too. It's been a difficult journey for us, but we will not give up!

#6 SinCityMozart

SinCityMozart

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 09:42 AM

Sunshine: he shouldn't have re-entered. He has to wait his time and then hope he will be able to come in legally. Depending on the country of origin, he may have a very difficult time convincing a consular officer that his illegal re-entry had sufficient reasons for it. Simply because he wanted to be with his family is not a sufficient reason.

You may want to consult with a different attorney and find out if the changes would apply to your circumstances. Generally speaking, a further illegal re-entry after a deportation is difficult to overcome.
Corporate immigration professional, immigrant, law and college basketball aficionada. Go Duke!

Disclaimer:

I am not an attorney. Always consult with a qualified attorney for advice specific to your case and circumstances.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users