Jump to content


I need some assitance

  • Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 LewMiller


    New Member

  • Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 05:46 AM

I need some assitance, I was married for 24 years, and seperated in 2000, divorced in 2002, and settlement in 2003. The judge awarded her permenate maintenance. She was working when we married and did the whole length of our marriage. Is there a way I can get out of under this and get my life back. No I dont pay her a lot, but I have been paying for over 13 years now. Enough is enough. I got remarried in 2006, and the new judge even counted the new wifes income. So I could still pay. Now my wife has been laid off, and we are counting every dollar. I live in Illinois, and there should be a way for me to get this removed. No where do I belive this is or should be forever. I darn sure dont make a ton of money per year. Any advice would be helpful. Any lawyer willing to take this on can contact me.
Thank you

#2 Guest_FindLaw_Amir_*

  • Guests

Posted 02 January 2013 - 07:41 AM

Any lawyer willing to take this on can contact me.

You may wish to use the Lawyers Directory to locate a local lawyer willing to advise you on this matter. Many lawyers do offer a free consultation.

#3 pg1067


    Platinum Contributor

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 50,705 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 02:51 PM

Nothing in your post suggests that circumstances have changed such that the order for permanent alimony should be changed. You said that your wife worked the entire length of your marriage, so the court necessarily knew that when it entered the order for permanent alimony. Right? You said you "don't pay her a lot," so that tells me that the court understood that you were both working and took that into account when it decided on the amount. Permanent means exactly that, and you aren't going to get it changed because a decade-plus later you have decided that you don't like it. You could have appealed the order at the time but apparently didn't, and it's too late to do so now. You didn't identify your state, but orders for permanent alimony are incredibly common for a marriage lasting nearly a quarter century. Sorry.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users