Dissolving an Association

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Association2012

Association2012

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 27 December 2012 - 05:06 AM

My community is a Lake Association and many of us are trying to gather information on what are the positives and negatives associated with dissolving the Association and having the Town take over the streets, draininage, etc.. We are also interested in obtaing legal services for this advice but we do not know what type of an Attorney would handle this issue.

#2 pg1067

pg1067

Platinum Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 44,395 posts

Posted 27 December 2012 - 08:04 AM

You didn't ask a question, so I'm not sure what the purpose of your post is. Also, the term "lake association" has no particular legal meaning. Perhaps it has a particular meaning under the laws of your state, but you didn't identify your state.

#3 adjusterjack

adjusterjack

Platinum Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,949 posts

Posted 27 December 2012 - 08:41 AM

My community is a Lake Association and many of us are trying to gather information on what are the positives and negatives associated with dissolving the Association and having the Town take over the streets, draininage, etc..

The biggest issue is whether or not the town would be willing to take over those duties. If it isn't, then you are done before you start. Have you even asked the town yet, to see which way the wind is blowing?

By the way, if you think the idea will save the homeowners money, it probably won't. If the town does take over those duties, plan on replacing your association dues and assessments with an equivalent amount in local ltaxes.

We are also interested in obtaing legal services for this advice but we do not know what type of an Attorney would handle this issue.

Google homeowner association attorney for your city. You'll find plenty.

Warning: Legal issues are complicated. Explanations and comments here are simplified and might not fully explain the ramifications of your particular issue. I am not a lawyer. I do not give legal advice. I make comments based on my knowledge and experience. I guarantee nothing. If you act on my comments without the advice of an attorney, you do so at your own risk.

#4 FindLaw_Amir

FindLaw_Amir

Platinum Contributor

• Moderators
  • 62,345 posts

Posted 27 December 2012 - 09:27 AM

You may wish to use the Real Estate Lawyers Directory to locate a local lawyer willing to address this issue.
FindLaw's Legal Heads-Up! newsletter can provide you with the legal resources you need to make informed decisions when law touches aspects of your everyday life.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users