Buying a car

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 cross3

cross3

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 26 December 2012 - 03:00 PM

Is it legal in Il. for a car dealer to sell, then permit someone to drive away without presenting a valid drivers licence?

#2 adjusterjack

adjusterjack

Platinum Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,300 posts

Posted 26 December 2012 - 08:32 PM

Is it legal in Il. for a car dealer to sell, then permit someone to drive away without presenting a valid drivers licence?

Here's the IL motor vehicle laws. I don't have time to go through it. Chapter 5, Article I addresses dealers and Chapter 6 is the driver license law.

http://www.ilga.gov/...15&ChapterID=49

If it doesn't say it's illegal in there, then it's legal.

Warning: Legal issues are complicated. Explanations and comments here are simplified and might not fully explain the ramifications of your particular issue. I am not a lawyer. I do not give legal advice. I make comments based on my knowledge and experience. I guarantee nothing. If you act on my comments without the advice of an attorney, you do so at your own risk.

#3 pg1067

pg1067

Platinum Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 45,219 posts

Posted 27 December 2012 - 07:08 AM

It's illegal to drive without a valid license, but I wouldn't expect it is a dealer's responsibility to ensure that purchaser's possess one. Why would you think it might be?

#4 Tax_Counsel

Tax_Counsel

Platinum Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,273 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 12:26 PM

Yes. It’s not the dealer’s responsibility to ensure the buyer has a driver’s license. It is the responsibility of the driver to have the necessary license to drive.

#5 FindLaw_Amir

FindLaw_Amir

Platinum Contributor

• Moderators
  • 62,345 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 01:35 PM

Did you suffer any damages as a result of this matter?
FindLaw's Legal Heads-Up! newsletter can provide you with the legal resources you need to make informed decisions when law touches aspects of your everyday life.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users