customer broke contract

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 stacey7777

stacey7777

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 25 December 2012 - 08:06 AM

Im a plumber have a customer sign my contract to do work,he also made a $500 down payment.72 hrs has lasped. i beleive he found a cheaper bid an now he wants his money back. I have made several phone calls to venders,hired extra help,diagnose his plumbing problem etc. do i have to return his money?

#2 adjusterjack

adjusterjack

Platinum Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,279 posts

Posted 25 December 2012 - 01:01 PM

Im a plumber have a customer sign my contract to do work,he also made a $500 down payment.72 hrs has lasped. i beleive he found a cheaper bid an now he wants his money back. I have made several phone calls to venders,hired extra help,diagnose his plumbing problem etc. do i have to return his money?

Hard to say without reading the terms and conditions of your contract.

But if you've spent time at his house inspecting and diagnosing, you're at least entitled to be paid for those hours.

Phone calls to vendors don't cost you anything. So if you haven't actually paid for materials that you can't return, there's no money in that.

As for hiring help, that depends on exactly what you mean by that.

From a legal standpoint, if he accepted the contract then he's in breach if he doesn't allow you to do the work. Trouble is, as the aggrieved party you are obligated to mitigate your damages as much as possible and there would be numerous factors involved in determining how much of the contract price he owes you, if any.

If you aren't clear about how all this works you might be wise to consult an attorney to determine if your contract adequately covers these contingencies.

Warning: Legal issues are complicated. Explanations and comments here are simplified and might not fully explain the ramifications of your particular issue. I am not a lawyer. I do not give legal advice. I make comments based on my knowledge and experience. I guarantee nothing. If you act on my comments without the advice of an attorney, you do so at your own risk.

#3 FindLaw_Amir

FindLaw_Amir

Platinum Contributor

• Moderators
  • 62,345 posts

Posted 26 December 2012 - 01:53 PM

What does the contract state about this matter?
FindLaw's Legal Heads-Up! newsletter can provide you with the legal resources you need to make informed decisions when law touches aspects of your everyday life.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users