Does it matter who divorces first?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Wanda_Warren

Wanda_Warren

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 23 December 2012 - 06:20 PM

What is the legal terms based on who files for divorce first? Can the plaintiff loose money or property if he/she divorces first? I understand a matter such as this is not considered a game, but I happened to over hear this and I would like to know for future reference if this were to ever happen to me.

#2 Ted_from_Texas

Ted_from_Texas

Platinum Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,941 posts

Posted 24 December 2012 - 05:19 AM

Every divorce is different. Depending on the relevant circumstances and the applicable state laws and judicial guidelines, one spouse or the other might have some advantage by filing first or waiting to respond. If you are asking whether there is some intrinsic advantage accruing to the person who files first, the answer is no. If you are contemplating divorce, a local family law attorney can look at your particular circumstances and advise you how to proceed to your best advantage.

#3 FindLaw_Amir

FindLaw_Amir

Platinum Contributor

• Moderators
  • 62,345 posts

Posted 24 December 2012 - 08:53 AM

I agree with the previous poster, if you are contemplating divorce, you may want to consult with a local Divorce Lawyer. I also suggest you visit the Family Law Center and read Divorce as a good resource to learn more about this subject matter.
FindLaw's Legal Heads-Up! newsletter can provide you with the legal resources you need to make informed decisions when law touches aspects of your everyday life.

#4 pg1067

pg1067

Platinum Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 45,139 posts

Posted 27 December 2012 - 07:53 AM

Your question -- and particularly the notion of "fil[ing] for divorce first" -- makes no sense at all. Either one spouse or the other will initiate the divorce by filing a petition or complaint (the terminology being dependent on the applicable state law). The other spouse will respond to the petition or complaint. There is no "filing first" or second, and, except in cases in which divorce is sought on a particular ground (e.g., adultery), it makes no difference which spouse initiates the divorce. On occasion, both spouses may file divorce petitions/complaints. How such a situation is handled depends on the applicable state law. Typically, however, the case filed first would proceed, and the latter-filed case would be dismissed.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users