30 Day Notice to Quit

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 jmballin

jmballin

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 20 December 2012 - 01:32 PM

I am a mother of two and have a month to month lease our landlords have came and said they sold all of the trailers in the park and gave everyone notices to move out. We were not made aware ahead of time they were closing the park they stated they were selling the old ones and bringing in new ones for everyone to rent. I am having a hard time finding a place to go I do have pets. I have lived here for 10 years. My rent was current. Can I request more time to find a place or do I have to move out? The notice was given in the middle of the month but the notice says we have to move out by January 13. Any suggestions would be appreciated. I am not sure where we will go if I can not find a place. I live in New Mexico.

#2 FindLaw_Amir

FindLaw_Amir

Platinum Contributor

• Moderators
  • 62,345 posts

Posted 20 December 2012 - 02:00 PM

You may want to read the New Mexico Statute: Article 10: Mobile Home Parks. I also suggest you visit the Real Estate Law Center and read Landlord-Tenant Law as a good resource to learn more about your rights as a tenant.
FindLaw's Legal Heads-Up! newsletter can provide you with the legal resources you need to make informed decisions when law touches aspects of your everyday life.

#3 Fallen

Fallen

Platinum Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 58,986 posts

Posted 20 December 2012 - 02:04 PM

If you are simply renting the trailer (vs. an owner in a mobile home park), whether the landlord sold the property or not, they'd be free to give tenants at will (monthly tenants) a notice of termination for no reason at all (and wouldn't be obligated to tell you about the sale of the park).

"Can I request more time to find a place or do I have to move out?"

Er, you can request anything you like.

If your rental month begins with the first of the month (essentially, if your rent is due at the beginning of the month), you're free to insist that the landlord give you proper notice as (evidently) required in NM no later than the beginning of the final month.

http://www.nmbar.org...trelations.html

Ultimately, if you refuse to leave, they'll need an eviction order to get you out (of course, an eviction order isn't something you want on your rental record).

I'll echo PG's advisory "warning" with a twist: (Many) legal issues are complicated. Explanations and comments here might not fully identify or explain the ramifications of your particular problem. I do not give legal advice as such (and such is impermissible here at any rate). Comments are based on personal knowledge and experience and legal info gleaned over a quarter century, and every state has differing laws on and avenues to address most topics.  If you need legal advice, you need to consult (and pay) a professional so that you may have someone to hold accountable.  Acting on personal and informational advice from a stranger on the internet is a bad idea -- at least not without your own thorough due dilience/research and confirmation as it applies to your situation.  :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users