Photo

Workplace use of minor's biometric data - parental consent required?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Parental_Unit

Parental_Unit

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 07:30 PM

My daughter works for a business in Michigan. She is 17. Workplace installed biometric (fingerprint-based) cash registers. She inputed her data for purposes of accessing the new machines.

I feel I should have been asked to consent, but am unable to find reference to any reference that backs up my conviction. Are minor's able to consent to use of their biometric data?

Would the answer be different at 6? 14? 16?

I am not happy they entered her data into their "system". Personally, I would have had her quit first for the few bucks she makes -- it's not worth any potential risk of misuse.

Appreciate clarification on the matter from those in the know.

#2 Tax_Counsel

Tax_Counsel

Platinum Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,238 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 10:12 PM

So, as I understand your facts, the only “biometric data” involved here is your daughter’s fingerprint, which is then used as a key to open the register. No federal or Michigan law requires that the business get your consent before your daughter provides the finger print for use in their cash register system.

I’m also a little baffled as to what risks you fear from the business having that information. It already presumably has her name, address, SSN, and birth date, and far more damage could be done with that data than with her fingerprint.

#3 FindLaw_Amir

FindLaw_Amir

Platinum Contributor

• Moderators
  • 62,345 posts

Posted 20 December 2012 - 09:11 AM

You may read the Michigan Legal Ages Laws as a good resource to learn more about this subject matter.
FindLaw's Legal Heads-Up! newsletter can provide you with the legal resources you need to make informed decisions when law touches aspects of your everyday life.

#4 pg1067

pg1067

Platinum Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 45,122 posts

Posted 20 December 2012 - 01:04 PM

My daughter works for a business in Michigan. She is 17. Workplace installed biometric (fingerprint-based) cash registers. She inputed her data for purposes of accessing the new machines.

What sort of "data" are you talking about?

Are minor's able to consent to use of their biometric data?

Depends on what sort of "data" you're talking about.

Personally, I would have had her quit first for the few bucks she makes

You're free to force your daughter to quit and request that the employer delete or destroy whatever "data" you're concerned with.

it's not worth any potential risk of misuse.

Even if the potential risk is 0.000000000000001%? That would be a little silly, don't you think? Why do you think there is more risk involved with your daughter's "biometric data" than, for example, her social security number, which the employer must necessarily have?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users