Landlord Retaliation

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 cantlose

cantlose

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 17 December 2012 - 08:05 PM

I recently negotiated a rent reduction with my landlord with which I have a lease of more than 1 year. More recently I paid a small portiion of my rent 2 weeks late after having notified him that I would need to do that. I was charged a late fee which was according to the contract but seemed exorbidant since only a small portion of the rent was actually late. On the last day of said month I received a 3 day notice to cure stating that I owe a late fee but also that I have an unauthorized tenant which is arguable. Can negotiating a rent reduction be considered cause for landlord retaliation for? I am within the 180 day timeframe and I would consider the rate negotiation a peaceable exercise of my rights.

#2 pg1067

pg1067

Platinum Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 45,897 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 07:34 AM

I don't really understand your question. If you're late with your rent and/or have an unauthorized person residing in your home, your landlord can serve you with an appropriate notice under your state's eviction laws, and I don't really see what this has to do with the negotiated rate reduction. Nor do I know what you mean by "the 180 day timeframe." Any applicable laws are obviously state-specific, and you didn't identify your state.

#3 Guest_FindLaw_Amir_*

Guest_FindLaw_Amir_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 December 2012 - 02:28 PM

What state is this concerning? To learn more about your rights, you may wish to visit the Real Estate Law Center and read Landlord-Tenant Law as a good resource.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users