MANDAMUS PETITION

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 jamieurena

jamieurena

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 17 December 2012 - 03:37 PM

When is the correct time to file a mandamus petition. I filed a habeas corpus while in prison, than i was released and my habeas was denied, because I was not under custody no longer. now that i'm released can i file a mandamus or is their another form or petition that I can file. This is for a drug case in 2009. This is for California I want to plea to a lesser charge under PADILLA V. KENTUCKY. I was never told that if I pled guilty to Cal. Penal Code 11375.5 that I faced deportation. Under PADILLA V KENTUCKY my public defender has a right to let me know of the consequences of my plea. I never talk to a public defender to explain to me the process that was going on during the court hearing. If I knowed that pleading to this charge would get me deported I would of opted to plea to a lesser charge like Cal. Penal Code 11377 which has no immigration consequences. Now that I been deported I would like to fight this case, but I'm stuck as to the next level I should take.

#2 LegalwriterOne

LegalwriterOne

Platinum Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,544 posts

Posted 17 December 2012 - 03:53 PM

Procedural timing is a matter of state law and you didn't identify a state. As to filing a writ of mandamus, the purpose of that writ petition is to seek to have the court order a public agency or governmental body to do something it has neglected or refused to do. It generally isn't something you can file post-conviction particularly when a habeas has been denied because you are no longer in custody.

#3 FindLaw_Amir

FindLaw_Amir

Platinum Contributor

• Moderators
  • 62,345 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 02:36 PM

Why would you like to file such a petition?
FindLaw's Legal Heads-Up! newsletter can provide you with the legal resources you need to make informed decisions when law touches aspects of your everyday life.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users