would like to adopt my childrens older siblings

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 al_thetoolman

al_thetoolman

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 17 December 2012 - 02:06 PM

My wifes 4 children were taken from her custody in michigan and here rights were terminated can I get the kids and bring them home to North Dakota
Ther was never any drugs involved it was a case of neglect / abandonment the kids were left home alone when the sitter didnt show on time and a messy house

#2 Ted_from_Texas

Ted_from_Texas

Platinum Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,022 posts

Posted 17 December 2012 - 02:32 PM

Your message is somewhat vague, but I surmise these are kids your (ex?) wife had with another man or men, and you have no connection to them except that they are half-siblings of your own kids. You don't say where the kids are now but presumably they are in foster care, and Child Protective Services (or the equivalent Michigan authority) has been awarded legal custody. If so, you'll need to discuss the possibility of their coming to you with the children's CPS caseworker. Consult local counsel.

#3 Guest_FindLaw_Amir_*

Guest_FindLaw_Amir_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 December 2012 - 02:49 PM

I agree with the previous poster, you may wish to consult with a local Family Law Lawyer to advise you on this matter.

#4 al_thetoolman

al_thetoolman

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 03:11 PM

ok so should I consult with a North Dakota council or Michigan
and as far as the other questions Im speaking of my current wife she was a widow at the time the children were taken and we now have two of their siblings 4 are in foster-care in Mi and our 2 live with us in ND

#5 pg1067

pg1067

Platinum Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 45,837 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 03:30 PM

Your posts are very difficult to follow. In any future posts, please make an effort to use something the resembles proper capitalization and punctuation so that we don't have to guess where one sentence ends and the next one begins.

My wifes 4 children were taken from her custody in michigan and here rights were terminated can I get the kids and bring them home to North Dakota

It's not clear why you think bringing these children to ND would constitute bringing them "home." However, if your wife's parental rights were terminated and these are not your children, then you have no legal rights whatsoever to do anything with them.

ok so should I consult with a North Dakota council or Michigan

If you would like to obtain a guardianship or custody of these children who live in MI, you obviously should speak with a lawyer in MI. However, if you are now married to and living with the children's mother whose parental rights were terminated, it is at least unlikely that the court or child services would put them in your care, which would be tantamount to giving them back to their mother whose rights were terminated.

#6 missingmyhubby

missingmyhubby

Bronze Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 340 posts

Posted 22 December 2012 - 07:55 AM

Ther was never any drugs involved it was a case of neglect / abandonment the kids were left home alone when the sitter didnt show on time and a messy house

you are a legal stranger to thses children and have no rights or standing to do anything. im sorry

#7 al_thetoolman

al_thetoolman

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 28 December 2012 - 03:05 PM

Can the ruling (rights terminated) be reversed or reopened for another attempt at reuniting this family?

#8 Ted_from_Texas

Ted_from_Texas

Platinum Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,022 posts

Posted 28 December 2012 - 07:21 PM

Parental rights are never terminated without very good reason. Your messages make no mention of why your wife's parental rights were terminated in the first place, or what has happened since then to make that ruling no longer relevant, so the best anyone can say here is that it would be very difficult if not impossible to get the original ruling reversed. Consult local counsel.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users