Photo

My daughter is being bullied by her landlord....

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Emmabear8888

Emmabear8888

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 04:58 PM

My daughter and her two year old rent a room from a 60-something woman in North Carolina. She has a rental agreement that states the rent is $465.00 a month and includes all utilities but she is not allowed to use any appliances. The "landlord" keeps increasing the rent each month when her (the landlord's) bills are more than she can pay. The other tenant says her "rent" has gone up five months in a row. The landlord only accepts cash payments.....so I doubt she reports this to the IRS. I need some help; I do not know what to do.

#2 pg1067

pg1067

Platinum Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 45,153 posts

Posted 17 December 2012 - 07:50 AM

You didn't ask a question, so I'm unsure what the point of your post is.

In any event, unless your daughter has a long-term lease, the landlord is free to increase the rent every month upon giving proper notice.

#3 FindLaw_Amir

FindLaw_Amir

Platinum Contributor

• Moderators
  • 62,345 posts

Posted 17 December 2012 - 10:07 AM

To learn more about this subject matter, you may wish to visit the Real Estate Law Center and read Landlord-Tenant Law as a good resource. I also suggest you read the North Carolina Statute: Chapter 42: Landlord and Tenant. For further clarification, your daughter may want to consult with a local North Carolina Landlord-Tenant Lawyer.
FindLaw's Legal Heads-Up! newsletter can provide you with the legal resources you need to make informed decisions when law touches aspects of your everyday life.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users