Photo

Privacy Invasion and Sexual Harassment???

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 MikeyG4753

MikeyG4753

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 06:11 AM

While completing a purchase with my credit card at a wholesale club in Philadelphia with a trial membership, I was having conversation with my cashier. The cashier next to my aisle joined the conversation. The conversation was then over and I left the store around 9:45PM on Thursday. At about 3:00AM Friday, I received a facebook message from the other cashier stating that he made a note to find out my name, that he is shy, and that his coworkers were "egging him on". He states that he has a relatively good "gaydar" and good taste in men. I responded and said thank you for the compliment. i explained that i wasn't sure why he thought i was gay, but explained to him that i am not gay and said "sorry and take care". He then responded and said that I was definitely giving off "vibes". I emailed a personal friend that works for the wholesale club (different location) and asked how hard it is for an employee to get my personal information. The friend/employee informed me that only the customer service people have access to my information and that the employee would have to be a friend of someone in customer service to obtain my info.

My issues are these: How did this cashier that had nothing to do with my transaction get my name to look me up on facebook? Shouldn't the company have a policy in place to prevent my personal information from being freely passed around between employees? Does the company currently have a policy in place that the managers and employees aren't following? I feel as though my privacy as a consumer has been violated. Shouldn't my personal information be protected somehow so that I do not get hit on and unwanted messages at 3AM? I am worried that this random employee now has access to my personal information- which could turn into my identity being stolen or have someone show up at my house. Especially since he "made a note" to find out my name... I am also very offended that he is judging me and labeling me with his "gaydar" and saying that I "definitely gave off vibes".
I realize that I do have certain rights as a consumer and may have given some up by signing up for a trial membership at this wholesale club. Shouldn't there be some expectation to my privacy? Why does the manager allow employees to pass around consumer's personal information so they can get hit on at 3AM? Does the corporation encourage this? I feel that this shopping experience and possible lack of company policy or neglect of the supervisors has invaded my personal life. I am worried for my safety, personal information, personal property, am embarrassed to go back into the store. I feel like this could have, and should have been avoided if my privacy wasn't invaded and personal information wasn't exposed to employees having nothing to do with my transaction.

#2 pg1067

pg1067

Platinum Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 45,878 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 07:31 AM

How did this cashier that had nothing to do with my transaction get my name to look me up on facebook?

I assume this is a rhetorical question, but did you by chance pay with a credit card or personal check? Also, you described this store as a "wholesale club," which probably means you have a membership card with your name on it.

Shouldn't the company have a policy in place to prevent my personal information from being freely passed around between employees?

It's not legally required to have such a policy, but here's the thing. "Personal information" isn't a term with any sort of defined legal meaning, and your name isn't protected by any sort of privacy law. When you asked your friend who can access "personal information," are you sure that he/she interpreted the term to mean the same thing you meant? It's likely that most employees cannot access your address and, if the company has it, your SSN or driver's license number. But, again, we're only talking about a name. And, keep in mind that there are tons of people who have access to information about you that could be used to cause you harm. But most people aren't criminals, so there's no real need to freak out about someone discovering your name or the mere possibility that some unknown person might use your "personal information" to harm you.

Why does the manager allow employees to pass around consumer's personal information so they can get hit on at 3AM?

You have no clue whether the manager allows this. In fact, it's more likely than not that the employee did this on his own without the manager's knowledge or authorization. As far as the time, would 3:00 p.m. have been preferable? It's not like he called you in the middle of the night and woke you up.

Does the corporation encourage this?

Not likely. To my knowledge, there are only a couple types of businesses that encourage their employees to hit on customers, and they're not "wholesale clubs."

I am worried for my safety, personal information, personal property, am embarrassed to go back into the store.

I'm not sure why you'd be worried for your safety. Did the guy threaten you when you declined his advance?

Let me ask you a question. Would this have bothered you less if it had been a woman rather than a man?

In any event, you are free to complain to the store manager. As noted above, it is unlikely that this sort of thing is allowed or encouraged, and it could well cost the guy his job. But there's nothing illegal about what happened, and you are really making a mountain out of a molehill.

#3 Guest_FindLaw_Amir_*

Guest_FindLaw_Amir_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 December 2012 - 11:03 AM

Have you contacted the warehouse club management to address this matter?

#4 disabled4life

disabled4life

Bronze Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 251 posts

Posted 17 December 2012 - 10:40 PM

Here's what I got from what you wrote:

You've got a public profile with your name and information on Facebook. Anyone who likes can send you a message at any time of the day.

This guy used his job/employment status to get your information. Was it inappropriate? Yes. Will it be worth it to you to seek damages? Being that your profile is completely public on facebook, and that all this guy did was send you a message through that medium, which anyone can do by simply finding out your name, I think no. Do you have proof that this person got any other private information about you aside from your name? All the guy needed was your name and city and he can scroll through the facebook photos and send you a message almost instantly. They could have looked over your shoulder at the library at your library card and gotten just as much information and done just as much with it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users