Railroaded

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Need_help_please

Need_help_please

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 01:56 AM

I'm being charged with knowingly concealing stolen property in oklahoma. They have offered me a felony conviction which I so rightfuly turned down due to the fact I have a previous felony convition and cannot afford to have another. My friend and I were throwing away trash in a dumpster near my house at 11pm at night. He noticed there were 2 laptop computers in the dumpster so we decided to take them to my house. Where I live is a college town and it is not rare for a college student to throw things away that are in good working order. 1 computer was password protected and couldn't log on. The other one we were able to log on and proceded to find out what was wrong with it. My friend then left about an hour later and I fell asleep on the couch. 6am the following morning 10 police officers were at my door with a search warrant for the computers. Had I known they were stolen I would have left them there. Keep in mind that I was currently on probation and soon to be getting released for writing bad checks 5 years before.Why would I steal them knowing I could go to prison? As soon as I was relased off probation I noticed a new admendment to some paperwork that the DA have filed online and I think it is so they can charge me with an after former felony convivtion. My attorney is not doing a lick of good and I feel I'm wasting time and money with him. I have made quite a few bad mistakes in my time but have changed my ways I recently got my GED and a CDL license plus about to start college in January. Now tell me why would I throw all that away? I'm dumb but not that dumb. Please help!!!!!!!!!!

#2 Legal_Balla

Legal_Balla

Contributor

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 156 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 08:07 AM

First, please stop posting the facts of your case on the Internet. Everything you say, including posts on legal forums like this, can be used against you in court. It sounds like your checkered past has made the current case very difficult and unmanageable. This is not your lawyer's fault. Your lawyer did not create the facts you are now faced with. If you are not happy with your lawyer, hire another one you do trust. That is the beauty of our system . . . you have choices. Good Luck.

#3 pg1067

pg1067

Platinum Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 45,656 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 08:12 AM

Why would I steal them knowing I could go to prison? . . . Now tell me why would I throw all that away?

Don't you think these are rather silly questions? You said you have a prior felony conviction. You certainly knew when you committed the crime(s) that led to that conviction that you could go to prison as a result, right? And you you committed the crime(s) anyway, right? So you certainly should have some insight into the reasons why criminals commit crimes.

These are the only questions you asked. If there was more that you wanted to know, feel free to post a follow up.

#4 Guest_FindLaw_Amir_*

Guest_FindLaw_Amir_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 December 2012 - 10:03 AM

If your current lawyer is not willing to address your legal concerns, you may wish to consult with a different local Criminal Defense Lawyer to advise you of your rights.

#5 Tax_Counsel

Tax_Counsel

Platinum Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,552 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 10:14 AM

You keep asking why you would commit such a crime. We wouldn't know. You committed crimes in the past, and likely knew it would mess up your life if you were caught, but did it anyway. In others, trying to assert your innocence here by claiming you couldn't have done it because you didn't want to mess up your life isn't a very persuasive line of argument. You are faced with what looks like bad facts: the computers were stolen and you had possession of them. You also have at least one previous conviction for a theft type offenses and are still on probation. So, given that, what are the police and prosecutor supposed to think? It would certainly look to them like you were involved with the theft, given what evidence they have. They aren't going to put much stock in the story that you tell about it, after all.

Stuff thrown away by others in the dumpster aren't yours to simply take. That leads to problems like this. A good rule to follow is never take anything that isn't yours, even if you think it may be abandoned or discarded. You don't know for sure what the story is with that item, and it may bring you all kinds of grief for taking it.

Your lawyer can only do so much with the facts that are available. The reality is, just given what you said here, it is certainly possible that a jury would convict you if this went to trial. Your attorney can't change the evidence against you. Your attorney can't magically make this go away. Even though you say you didn't intend to steal anything, if the available evidence makes it look like you are guilty, you can be convicted anyway. Sure, it's not fair for that to happen, but that's just the way things work. You put yourself into a situation that makes it look bad. There is only so much your lawyer can do to minimize that.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users