Copyright arranged with

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Lawflower2012

Lawflower2012

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 01:02 PM

I'm having trouble finding caselaw on the clause "copyright arranged with" so and so. Can anyone direct me?

Thanks in advance.

#2 FindLaw_Amir

FindLaw_Amir

Platinum Contributor

• Moderators
  • 62,345 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 01:08 PM

Could you please elaborate a bit more on your post?
FindLaw's Legal Heads-Up! newsletter can provide you with the legal resources you need to make informed decisions when law touches aspects of your everyday life.

#3 Lawflower2012

Lawflower2012

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 01:13 PM

Example, Harry Potter Thai edition (bold is mine)

Thai. Nanmeebooksm, From the title page verso: ‘Illustrations by Mary
GrandPré from Harry Potter and the Sorcerer’s Stone by J.K. Rowling. Published by
Arthur Levine Books, and imprint of Scholastic Press, a division of Scholastic Inc.
Cover Artwork © Warner Bros. A division of Time Warner Entertainment Company
L.P. Copyright arranged with Christopher Little Literary Agency 10 Eel Brook
Studios, 125 Moor Park Road, London SW6 4PS, England Through Tuttle–Mori
Agency Co., Ltd. Bangkok

#4 pg1067

pg1067

Platinum Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 44,336 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 01:34 PM

You'd have to ask the publisher what that statement means. It doesn't appear that there's any sort of legal issue that might be resolved with reference to case law (and, in any event, folks on message boards aren't likely to do case research for you).

#5 Lawflower2012

Lawflower2012

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 03:01 AM

So does that mean there's no clear definition of what this means at all outside of the publisher's opinion of its meaning? I don't find this language anywhere in standard copyright law. Any hint even of where to look from those who know?

Is it possible that "copyright arranged with" is related to an agency being "coupled with an interest"?

#6 pg1067

pg1067

Platinum Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 44,336 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 08:44 AM

So does that mean there's no clear definition of what this means at all outside of the publisher's opinion of its meaning?

Not apparently. The notion of "arranging" a copyright has no meaning at all under U.S. copyright law. It might be that the language has some standard, accepted meaning in the publishing industry (either in the U.S., the UK, Thailand, or all of them). It might also have particular legal significance under the copyright laws of the UK and/or Thailand, but you'd obviously have to ask a UK and/or Thai lawyer about that.

Any hint even of where to look from those who know?

When someone says or writes something that you don't understand, the most expeditious way to gain an understand of what was said or written is typically to ask the speaker or writer. In this case, the sentence in question was written by the publisher of the book. It might help to know why you're concerned about this.

Is it possible that "copyright arranged with" is related to an agency being "coupled with an interest"?

Not sure why you have the last phrased in quotation marks, but I certainly cannot say that it's not possible.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users