School Boosters account and athlete quitting--PA LAW

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 bbmama

bbmama

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 08 December 2012 - 06:58 PM

My child recently raised over 250 dollars for his account in his school's basketball account. He already had 90 some from last year, which carried over. Boosters are 180 dollars and his equipment and gear bill has not been given to us yet, but we have at least 160 dollars left. Normally this money is used yearly to help pay for his clothing and/or gear. This year, we have an excess and my son is not being played so has finally decided to quit.

I have been told the monies he raised from his individual sellling efforts are then absorbed into the basketball boosters as a whole and we cannot have the money or transfer it to another non profit within the same school district.

In a previous year, not last year, but the year before, we were offered a refund of the monies so our account would be at zero.

Is this true? Please advise...

Thanks

#2 pg1067

pg1067

Platinum Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 44,327 posts

Posted 08 December 2012 - 07:11 PM

I really should hope it would go without saying that this depends on the applicable state law (you didn't identify your state), local school district rules (we obviously have no way of knowing where you live), and/or the terms of any contract between you and the school.

#3 bbmama

bbmama

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 08 December 2012 - 07:20 PM

Thanks for replying. I put the state in the topic headline. Pennsylvania law. School district has varying laws for each sport and there has been no contract give. Or provided by the association. Each booster organization seems to be run as they want but most will switch the funds between non profits. I appreciate any guidance for finding out more info to help me determine if this is a lost cause or not. Lol. Thank you!!!

#4 Ted_from_Texas

Ted_from_Texas

Platinum Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,864 posts

Posted 08 December 2012 - 07:27 PM

Depending on school district policy, the school itself could have a little or a lot of say about how the boosters raise and manage their money. The rules the boosters follow could be embodied in the organization's charter and bylaws or in club officers' meeting minutes and/or policy statements. In any case, they should be written down somewhere. Ask one of the officers to show you a copy. If you believe the rules could be in violation of school district policy, you'd want to bring the matter to the attention of the school board.

#5 pg1067

pg1067

Platinum Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 44,327 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 07:52 AM

First of all, in the absence of an applicable state law, I would assume it is up to each district how to handle the situation. Second, it seems to me that money raised by your son and other students and the school could be tax deductable to the persons from whom the money was raised. If so, then there could be tax issues that might arise if the school were to use the money for a purpose other than that for which it was originally intended. In any event, you're certainly free to consult with a local attorney, but I have serious doubts that you or your son has any entitlement to the money.

#6 FindLaw_Amir

FindLaw_Amir

Platinum Contributor

• Moderators
  • 62,345 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 09:14 AM

This is a matter you may wish to contact your local school district to address for clarification.
FindLaw's Legal Heads-Up! newsletter can provide you with the legal resources you need to make informed decisions when law touches aspects of your everyday life.

#7 bbmama

bbmama

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 02:23 AM

What is the rule regarding PA? Similar situation and the district has set precedent with other boosters switching monies between themselves. Also it would go from one booster to another within same school district. There is nothing in the bylaws about this. I asked.

#8 Ted_from_Texas

Ted_from_Texas

Platinum Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,864 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 04:05 AM

If there is no rule, then no rule has been violated.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users