Photo

Employer putting me on company website - privacy issues?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Shadow90210

Shadow90210

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 07:54 AM

My employer, small company of 15, is planning to update website.
Pictures and names of employees, etc. I don't work with the public, so this is unnecessary. There has never been any employment agreement or release to do this.

I have a long-term stalker that I need to avoid, and don't want to mention this to my employer. I keep a very low and non-existent internet presence because of this.

How to avoid?

#2 Tax_Counsel

Tax_Counsel

Platinum Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,522 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 08:10 AM

The law does not require the employer to obtain some kind of release from you to put information about you on its web site. If you want to avoid your information being put on the site, the only solution that is readily apparent is to talk with the owner of the company about it. It may be that you’ll need to explain the stalker situation in order to persuade the employer to keep your information off the site.

#3 Fallen

Fallen

Platinum Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 59,779 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 01:37 PM

You don't say why you think that even though this info would be on a website that it will be easily discoverable by a third party. If indeed you have a stalker (and people in general misuse this term, but I don't presume you are), trust me, (s)he knows where you work already. :)

I'll echo PG's advisory "warning" with a twist: (Many) legal issues are complicated. Explanations and comments here might not fully identify or explain the ramifications of your particular problem. I do not give legal advice as such (and such is impermissible here at any rate). Comments are based on personal knowledge and experience and legal info gleaned over a quarter century, and every state has differing laws on and avenues to address most topics.  If you need legal advice, you need to consult (and pay) a professional so that you may have someone to hold accountable.  Acting on personal and informational advice from a stranger on the internet is a bad idea -- at least not without your own thorough due dilience/research and confirmation as it applies to your situation.  :)

#4 Guest_FindLaw_Amir_*

Guest_FindLaw_Amir_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 December 2012 - 02:38 PM

Have you discussed this concern with your employer?

#5 Shadow90210

Shadow90210

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 08 December 2012 - 12:34 PM

Have you discussed this concern with your employer?

Not yet. It's still a fairly new job, and I don't want to raise red flags.
This guy doesn't actually follow me around, he just anon calls or emails employers or landlords, with outrageous stuff. Wacko. He even posts to the local newspaper. If I go to the police and/or courts, I most likely will have to disclose address and employer. He. Won't. Ever. Stop.

#6 pg1067

pg1067

Platinum Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 45,554 posts

Posted 08 December 2012 - 07:06 PM

this is unnecessary.

Seems your employer disagrees.

I have a long-term stalker that I need to avoid, and don't want to mention this to my employer. I keep a very low and non-existent internet presence because of this.

How to avoid?

Talk with your employer about the issue or quit your job.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users