Photo

custody/support/visitation in Massachusetts?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 AndreLondon2013

AndreLondon2013

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 03:43 PM

i live in London,UK and i have a court date for custody/support/visitation in Massachusetts. My question is: i don't have the visa to go back to america. And i k whith lawwer far i know , no one can represented me on the court. I like to know what is the best way to deal whit this case? Thanks

#2 Ted_from_Texas

Ted_from_Texas

Platinum Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,022 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 08:02 PM

"And i k whith lawwer far i know , no one can represented me on the court."

I have no earthly idea what this means. It's gibberish to me. Please try to proofread what you write, before you send it.

If travel to the U.S. is not possible, as far as I know you have three options:

1. Try to arrange to appear by teleconference or videoconference. Whether this is feasible or even possible depends on the applicable state laws, local court rules and the judge. Try contacting the clerk of court for information.

2. Retain a family law attorney in the vicinity of the hearing to represent you in court. Try asking the Massachusetts bar association for a referral, or use the "Find a Lawyer" link at the top of this page.

3. Simply decline to appear, in which case a judgment will probably be entered without your participation, and you will be bound by it. Whether the judgment will be favorable to you or not is impossible to predict, but experience shows that the party who fails to appear is more likely to get stuck with an unsatisfactory ruling, than the one who appears.

I hope this helps.

#3 pg1067

pg1067

Platinum Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 45,837 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 07:53 AM

And i k whith lawwer far i know , no one can represented me on the court. Thanks

Might want to read and proofread what you write before hitting "post."

I like to know what is the best way to deal whit this case?

If you have a court date and are unable to appear in person, you'll need to hire an attorney to represent you.

#4 Guest_FindLaw_Amir_*

Guest_FindLaw_Amir_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 December 2012 - 02:42 PM

This is a matter you may wish to consult with a local Massachusetts Family Law Lawyer to address.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users