Intellectual Property?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 JohnBrian_2682

JohnBrian_2682

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 12:24 PM

I work in a school district as a teacher, and was in the final interview step as a candidate for the Athletic Director position in the district I work in (Would make about 130K vs 60K now.)

Despite being told numerous times from committee members, etc. about the support I had, what a great presentation I gave etc. I found out yesterday I did not get the position, and it was given to someone outside of the district (he has a connection with our principal).

The last step of the interview process was to present MY VISION for the athletic department. I just got called into the Assistant Principal's office and was told that they are sorry things didn't work out, but they did love my ideas and would love my help implementing XX idea from my presentation -- but without giving me the salary or title to go along with it!

Seeing how they gave the other guy the job, I think it's completely insensitive to ask me that, especially one day later.

My question is -- what rights do I have to protect my "vision?" Can they take my presentation and just implement it without me, seeing how it was mine to begin with??

#2 NewYorkEmploymentAttorney

NewYorkEmploymentAttorney

• Members
  • Pip
  • 43 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 01:01 PM

In New York state you would have no specific rights to your vision under the employment laws, but consider contacting an intellectual property attorney.

Www.Queensemploymentattorney.com
Posted ImageThis answer does not constitute legal advice and you should contact an attorney to confirm or research further any statements made in this answer. Any statements of fact or law I have made in this answer pertain solely to matters in New York State and should not be relied upon in any way in any other jurisdiction. Additionally, we also encourage you to reach out to us at our website: www.QueensEmploymentAttorney.com or via Twitter (https://twitter.com/#!/EmployAttorney) or Facebook (http://www.facebook....RicottaandMarks) if you have follow up questions as we do not monitor questions after providing an initial answer.

#3 Guest_FindLaw_Amir_*

Guest_FindLaw_Amir_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 December 2012 - 01:36 PM

I agree with the previous poster, you may wish to discuss this matter with a local Intellectual Property Lawyer to advise you further in detail about your rights.

#4 pg1067

pg1067

Platinum Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 45,367 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 07:49 AM

My question is -- what rights do I have to protect my "vision?" Can they take my presentation and just implement it without me, seeing how it was mine to begin with??

Probably not, but it depends on exactly what was involved. A "vision" suggests nothing more than ideas, and ideas are not protected in any way in the absence of a contract that provides for such protection. On the other hand, your presentation (depending on what it consisted of) may be protected by copyright law.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users