Photo

why can't you get a public defender in a DWI case. They r saying that he can't get one.

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 chas7777

chas7777

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 06:48 PM

he has already ask for one continuous to find a lawyer. But can't afford a Lawyer so he is going to count in the morning by himself. I told him to ask for another continuous so I can find out more info. that is where he is at right now.

this all I no about this case: .he got a dwi, with an accident, trying to get him for littering and hendering prosacution saying someone was in vehical and took off running.

I think he is 24 yrs old now and had his first DWI when he was 18 yrs old.

he lives in MO.

#2 doucar

doucar

Contributor

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 214 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 05:34 AM

In many, if not most states, you are not entitled to a Public Defender if jail time is not an option. Some states limit it to minimum of 6 months in jail before a public defender is available. I don't know what the rule is in MO, but you could ask.

#3 chas7777

chas7777

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 06:13 AM

Thank you very much doucar for the help

#4 FindLaw_Amir

FindLaw_Amir

Platinum Contributor

• Moderators
  • 62,345 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 10:15 AM

You may visit the Missouri State Public Defender's office as a good resource.
FindLaw's Legal Heads-Up! newsletter can provide you with the legal resources you need to make informed decisions when law touches aspects of your everyday life.

#5 Legal_Balla

Legal_Balla

Contributor

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 155 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 11:19 AM

There may also be financial requirements he must meet. Usually, the court will ask about income and expenses before deciding whether someone is eligible. Most states require a person meet an "indigence" threshold before assigning a lawyer to the case.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users